Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Where can I purchase the black stumm that covers all the seems alont the firewall and trunk? I just removed my hood and such to replace the weather stripping and It was all cracked and flaked off when when I touched It so I removed it from all the seems.

thanks

·
Super Moderator
13,090 Posts
Steven,
I got mine at a local body shop supply store. Any place that sells automotive paints etc should have it. The stuff that I got is 3M, it comes in a quart can, more than I will ever use, and can be brushed on or applied with a putty knife etc.
Hope this helps,

------------------
Bill Koustenis
Advanced Automotive Machine
Waldorf Md

1971 Heavy Chevy - original owner
Team Chevelle #100

·
Registered
16 Posts
I recently removed the smuggler's box and the bed plate over it in my El Camino to treat rust. Is the weather stripping your talking about the stuff I need to reseal with? The caulk tube sounds like the best way to go.

·
Registered
622 Posts
Two different products here;
SEAM SEALER is brush on (or caulk ) stuff - mine is gray, from eastwood - that hardens to a tough flexible seal. Used by the factory on various body seams, etc. I consider it permanent.
The other is "Strip caulk" which is the (usually) black stuff that remains sticky and pliable forever. It is gummy and sticky.
I think if you seal the smugglers compartment with seam sealer, it will be almost permanently glued shut. Perhaps strip caulk from your local body/paint supplier would be a better choice ?

------------------
Gotta have a Chevy !In Durham N.C.
Why is there never enough time or money to do it right the first time, but ALWAYS enough to do it over?
Make it look the way you like it, forget what the other guys say!

·
Registered
994 Posts
Strip caulk, also known as, dumd-dumb rope is primaraly used in pinch welds or mating surfaces. It sounds like you want the paintable type. I found 3M works best from the auto body supply store

------------------
Lowered '67 Elcamino
ZZ430 eng / 4L60E trans
"Canyon Carver"

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.