Chevelles.com banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do you guys recommend for sealant on the threads of a new temperature sending unit? Tape, or liquid teflon? I am aware that the unit needs to make good contact with the threads in the head in order to achieve the correct resistance, and recall some TC members warning about using the right sealant.....Thanks!

------------------
Gregg Haskin
72 Chevelle SS
ZZ502 Crated RAT
Muncie M-20 4 speed

[This message has been edited by riskyvt (edited 07-24-2001).]

·
Premium Member
5,656 Posts
If you have mechanical gauges, sealer wont matter, but if you have electrical like myself, I just chased the threads in my intake with a good tap so I would have a good clean mating surface, I just tightened the brass fitting down good and snug and I had no leaks, and a good connection with out sealer!

Rocky Hill

------------------
A Man And His Chevelle!
It's A Beautiful Thing.

My66SS

·
Premium Member
5,542 Posts
I never used a sealer and had no problems.

------------------
Dan Orgill
1969 SS396 frame off in progress
Very.......slllooooowwww......progress

·
Registered
834 Posts
How about if the sensor is in an aluminum intake? If you don't use sealer won't it corrode in there? Then you'll never get it out.

------------------
Chris Dagenais
Saskatchewan
'71 Malibu with a home built 454!
"Salad and vegetables are what food eat!"
My Page

·
Premium Member
1,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Guys-

This temp sending unit is being installed into a ZZ502 Crate motor with an aluminum intake. Doesn't GM use some kind of sealant on sending units on new engines installed in cars?

------------------
Gregg Haskin
72 Chevelle SS
ZZ502 Crated RAT
Muncie M-20 4 speed

·
Registered
834 Posts
Well riskyvt, I can tell you that i've always used teflon tape on the threads. Never had any problems yet.

------------------
Chris Dagenais
Saskatchewan
'71 Malibu with a home built 454!
"Salad and vegetables are what food eat!"
My Page

·
Registered
770 Posts
You almost always want to use an anti-seize compound when threading anything into aluminum.

------------------
Bob McCormick
69 Malibu project

·
Registered
10,950 Posts
I'm partial to Loctite PST. (Pipe Sealer with Teflon) It is absolutely the best sealer on the market. It has the same "active ingredient" as the other Loctite thread lockers, only in reduced quantity. The stuff doesn't just "dry", it actually "hardens". Yet you can easily remove the fitting since it seals away any corrosion.

Because it is a thick liquid, you will still get enough metal-to-metal contact to make a good ground.

When the company I work for tried to get cheap, and use an ordinary teflon paste sealer on the diesel bus engines, our leakage rate went out of sight! Switching back to PST instantly eliminated the problem. (Twice! They were too dumb to learn from the first experiment!)

·
Premium Member
1,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks guys! Once again, if you need answers, ask your friends on Team Chevelle!

------------------
Gregg Haskin
72 Chevelle SS
ZZ502 Crated RAT
Muncie M-20 4 speed

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
I've used good old plumbers "pipe dope" for years. Tried and true.

------------------
MalibuJerry350
TC Member #1279
Original owner '70 Chevelle.
553,000+ miles on car.
Hey, if it's got wheels, DRIVE IT!
My Chevelle: http://hometown.aol.com/erie614/myhomepage/index.html

·
Registered
994 Posts
Not always will you have trouble with the use of pipe dope, sealant, or Teflon tape.
The capillary sending unit on mechanical gauges do not rely on an electrical ground for it to operate.
On the other hand, the electrical sending units depend on a good ground between the sending unit and the engine! I recently experienced a similar scenario that resulted in a 20-degree difference.
My .02 worth, keep it clean!
I got my info from Mike at M&H Electrical www.wiringharness.com

------------------
Dale
Lowered '67 Elcamino
ZZ430HP / Modified 4L60
"Canyon Carver"

www.chevelles.com/showroom/elkydriveway1.jpeg

1 - 11 of 11 Posts