Team Chevelle banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1966 Malibu, 327, Muncie, 3.23 posi
406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have watched many do's vs don't videos about Seafoam. Now I'm asking you guys. My car runs a bit rough. I have yet to remove plugs and check. I will get to that. I would also like to try cleaning out the carbon buildup. I have seen videos with pouring plain water in the carb, but also seen using a Seafoam product the same way. Both water or Seafoam seem so simple that if it works - hurray!
Which one would you try?

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
man years ago a buddy had a 67 pontiac catalina that had some issues.well we got the idea to dump some seafoam down the carb as it was running.well it just wanted to die so we had to rap it up quite a bit to keep it running as we dumped it in.AND we ended up with numerous looky loe's as the cloud it created was blocking out the sun.i believe the earth dropped 2 degrees that day.

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
I'm a slow way kinda guy here. Slow, as in - buy higher quality fuels that are Top Tier that have the best detergents and fuel additive package. Carbon build up and fuel system varnish does not happen overnight and I don't expect that it can be fixed overnight.

And I wouldn't use Sea Foam. Its probably ok but I prefer something called BG 44K Platinum poured into the fuel tank at high concentrations with only around a third of a tank filled. Chevron Techron in the bottle is also good and GM's "X66P" if it can still be found.

Rick

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys. I like the spray bottle approach. I will try to remove plugs today. I have always used good gas in my tank but I don't know what the last guy used.

·
Premium Member
18,411 Posts
IDK if its still available, but GM Top Engine Cleaner is the shizz when it comes to de-carbonizing an engine. WATCH THE PLUME IT GENERATES!

Reactions: oldguy67

·
Super Moderator
2,190 Posts
GM Top Engine Cleaner used to work wonders on old carboned up "old lady" cars when I worked at the local garage. And yes we would raise the idle to about 3000 RPM and pour it down the carb until it would stall then let it sit for 15 minutes. After sitting a 5,000 RPM blast down the road would blow out all the junk.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I did the Seafoam today, following the company demo video on YouTube. I bought one bottle that pours and one that sprays. I poured 8oz in my half tank of gas, then followed up with the spray can down the carb. Since I knew it was going to make a WWII destroyer smoke screen, I took my car to the HS parking lot that is within view of my house. My wife and I were glad I made the decision to do this in the parking lot. From our house, she could see the cloud.

After letting it bake, I went for a ride. Immediately leaving the lot I could feel the difference. Smoother running engine. It was a good drive. I tried to blow the cobwebs out but I don't push it past 4K. It makes a hell of a racket and if something broke, it would be the end of my season already. I hope my $20 tune-up lasts all summer/fall.

·
Registered
12,576 Posts
Tried it a few times yrs back,..everyone on the corvette forum was posting pic of thier smoke.
Yes my 5.3 and C4 smoked a bunch...ironic I had to replace the 02 sensors months later who knows.

The C4 did idle noticable smoother for sure. As the miles piled up on the truck I drove it easier and easier
Idle started getting a little funky so ran it hard for 2 blocks and noticed a huge black cloud of carbon behind me..that took care of it.Italian tune up.

If i wanna decarbonize something Ill take a spray bottle with hot water and with the engine about 2, 2500 Ill slowly spray it down the carb. Never hydrolocked them and it did in fact help.

Not a fan of putting solvents in oil they dont lubricate make sure and change yours if you do. Found out the hard way breaking sludge loose will clog up the oil pump pickup screen. Anyone remember the lawsuits from Slick50 and bits of teflon plugging oil pumps up? LOL

·
Registered
12,576 Posts
I hear Lucas products are very good quality

Not a believer in secret sauces but am sold on 1 of their products for sure (only tried their ps fluid outside that)

Their non slip trans additive. I had sticky solenoid issues with my 02 Silverado trans since new.
My trans guy after having him flush it he advised putting a bottle in with ea service. Id do them at 15k to make that thing last. Never....ever happened again. It was a real issue and irritating. (4l60e).
Ea 15k Id do the fluid and filter then next time id have him flush the whole thing out..Totalled recently with almost 200k when it was stolen, cant complain. Couldnt keep a trans in that thing prior to...almost wish it came with a T400 instead. Mpg was the same up to 60 or so in D with 3.73 anyways.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts