Chevelles.com banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My door panels in my '70 have trim screws on the bottom, are they supposed to be there?

Also, is there anyone out there that refurbishes these panels? Mine are warped slightly but otherwise in good shape.

------------------
1970 Chevy El Camino (Custom) Non-SS
Green Mist & Silver w/Green Vinyl Top
350ci/300HP 4bbl & Factory Dual Exhaust
TH-350 - 2.73 Posi Rear
Factory PS, PB, PW, A/C
Originally Burlington, NC Car - Sold at Carpenter's Chevrolet in Durham, NC
My El Camino Home Page - www.dreamelectric.com

"Oh my stars! There's that black car again! Everybody get in the house, now!"

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
Shawn, the door panels have probably warped because they may have absorbed some moisture. The waxpaper-like door shields may be torn or missing too.

Mine curl too.

But I used a couple finishing washers to give my lower screws more grip area last time I pulled the panels of my 70. I also lightly sprayed some silicone waterproof stuff on the back.

Other than new unassembled/assembled panels there is not much you can do.

------------------
DG
Springfield, Ohio

<UL TYPE=SQUARE>
<LI>name: D.G. Adams & my 70 Malibu
<LI>http://www.wright.edu/~adams.41/chevy.htm <LI> Email me: [email protected]
<LI>TEAM Chevelle Member #0086
<LI>eBay username: dg98adams
<LI>"Failure is not an option. It's bundled with your software"
[/list]

[This message has been edited by DG (edited 09-14-2000).]

·
Registered
543 Posts
the screws at the bottom of the door panel are correct. you can get excellent pre-assembled door panels; BUT if I had it to do again... Save the metal top of the factory door panels and use the kit, you have to put in the window "fuzzies" and the staples are a pain. or get the kit and have a good trim shop do it. the pre-assembled panels use plastic, they look great but metal ones are original.

·
Premium Member
3,400 Posts
I had a warpage problem with a package shelf many years ago (before replacements were readily available), and my wife came up with a repair suggestion that worked very well. Got the cardboard or fiberboard material very wet and then laid it on a flat surface (i.e., concrete floor) with weights (i.e., concrete blocks) on it. Left it there for a week or so, until it was fully dried. It was back to flat condition then, and remained that way. Might work well if the covering on your panels is Ok, as you say it is.

------------------
Bill Pritchard
69 SS396 Convertible
"There's never enough time to do the job properly, but always enough time to do it over."

·
Premium Member
9,801 Posts
My first Chevelle had no door panels and I had to ask about this situation. My enduring question is: Why would most of the panel be held on pn by push-in fasteners and the bottom be held in by screws? Very Weird. Anyway, if you need more sockets for the push in fasteners, go to a supply shop and get the BMW stuff--it is the same.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts