Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JULY's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,798 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I once worked in a shop that had Scotchbrite polishing wheels on a bench grinder that worked very well for polishing and de-burring. I have not seen them since working there. Does anyone know if these are available at a normal retail store? I looked at Amazon and saw some for over $100 and that is not in the budget. The buying one online sight unseen is not what I want to do, either. The plan is to use it for removing rust and bluing on an old rifle.

·
Registered
1971 Chevrolet Chevelle Malibu
7,411 Posts
You can buy a 3M Red Scotchbrite wheel that goes in a 1/4" drill at Walmart. I used one when I did the undercarrige on my car. I used a rougher fiber type of wheel for paint and rust removal to bring my frame down to bare metal but used the 3M wheel more to just go over the same areas to take some of the scratchiness the other wheel made and to just scuff up the factory paint that was on the floors.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/3M-3621-1043-3m-Large-Scotch-Brite-Paint-Varnish-R/23108143

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
A quarter inch bolt a couple nuts and fender washers and you've got a holder. Get some scotchbtight pads and poke the bolt through.

·
Premium Member
9,798 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the input. I will take a second look at those on Amazon. The bolt through the pad does sound like it has potential.

·
Premium Member
9,798 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sorry, Bill. I do not recall the details; it was about 8 years ago when I used that wheel. It probably was a deburring wheel though.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts