Team Chevelle banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone use scorpion rocker arms on a street car. I mean 5-8000mi a year deal, any durability issues?

I have been using stainless/chromoly rockers arms for the last 15yrs and never had a problem but these days there hard to come by. Aluminum still seems readily available.

spring pressures are modest with a hydraulic roller.

·
Premium Member
4,077 Posts
Used 'em on my last 350. Nice parts, me thinks.

·
Registered
1970 SS 396 25-C, 1966 SS R-R
992 Posts
Used them on my 396. 6,000 miles, no problems. I had to shorten 8 of the poly locks to fit under the extra tall stamped steal (cheater) valve covers. A couple rockers in the set come with the corner loped off for valve cover clearance. 60203 Lunati hydraulic flat tapper cam with matching springs.

·
Registered
12,576 Posts
Curious to hear also...never heard the name up til a handful of yrs ago.
What other brands of alum arms do you guys consider good? Crane "gold" still around or are they just comp quality with cranes name?
Stay the heck away from Proform..unless they have improved quality that is.
Had 3 of them come apart in less than 500 mi could not beleive it. Flat tappet cam..had no idea at the time they were less than desirable .

·
Registered
831 Posts
hi
Have endurance spec 1.65 I/E 7/16 stud for the project I`m doing now .
......Scorpion was the best optioned rockers when I was buying
cheaper rockers had almost very few features by comparison

Compare the features of the
Endurance and Race series
Endurance have less weight and greater valve cover clearance
Both of this brand have very high clearances to stud /retainer etc .
Max lift values are good also
Due to the differences either series might be better suited ,,u need to read up

Compared to other brands Scorpion offer more for aluminium rockers .
Pending budget comp cams chrome moly standard and premium might be worth a look

·
Registered
12,576 Posts
At what point (spring pressure) would one need to use steel rather than aluminum just for reliability sake?
I hear lightweight is the key with valvetrain stuff but at a point with durability may come weight?
Kind of like a connecting rod

There are bushed roller wheel lifters out these days would there be a market for roller rockers with those or is needle bearings best? Just asking

·
Premium Member
7,456 Posts
I would wait for a set of comp1828-16 since you needed 1.8:1? Jegs has 1828-8 listed on eBay and shows 2 sets avaible.
Crower is nice but expensive.
Scorpion has had problems in the past just Google or Do a search here. I have used a couple of sets and they Do look like a nice rocker though. But personally I would use steel or stainless steel the will outlive alu and I like their bigger trunion bearings.

·
Premium Member
7,456 Posts
Curious to hear also...never heard the name up til a handful of yrs ago.
What other brands of alum arms do you guys consider good? Crane "gold" still around or are they just comp quality with cranes name?
Stay the heck away from Proform..unless they have improved quality that is.
Had 3 of them come apart in less than 500 mi could not beleive it. Flat tappet cam..had no idea at the time they were less than desirable .
At what point (spring pressure) would one need to use steel rather than aluminum just for reliability sake?
I hear lightweight is the key with valvetrain stuff but at a point with durability may come weight?
Kind of like a connecting rod

There are bushed roller wheel lifters out these days would there be a market for roller rockers with those or is needle bearings best? Just asking
Crane is gone, comp alu has been different sources they might be Scorpion at the moment.

Crower has different options but just for the tip I belive? Its at least in their catalog https://www.crower.com/media/mastercatloghtml/2017/master-catalog/index.html?page=153

I dont think alu is much lighter? Because the extra material needed? both comp and crower has been advertising their steel options as light weight(moving mass).

·
Premium Member
1968 Malibu sport coupe, 489 ci. 590 hp 600 tq, RV T-400 Freakshow 3200 stall, 3.73 12 bolt posi
10,595 Posts
Harland Sharp makes the BBC rockers Straub Tech & AFR sells ( or did a couple years ago) and seem like a good rocker, I had a set of the BBC Comp Pro Mags and those are VERY nice but I couldn't get my geometry right so sent them back, IMO steel is stronger so better for a rocker, I have 170 lbs closed 450 lbs open

Reactions: mino65

·
Registered
831 Posts
hi
Although u need to do your own research when I was shopping.
Looked into many brands and cut down xtra clearance rockers combined with 1.65 1.7 ratios etc was important
Retainer clearance ie lift clearance , max lift slot , valve spring pressure ,ratio choice and reasonable reputation all important
From memory Comp and Crane had just removed many rocker options from market
Harland Sharp make at least 3 different types although ,hard to get and options/cost were not as good as Scorpion
Comp Premium series XD many ratio choices and strong , little flexing was the only other option .

If your worrying about cam flex u should be using a steel core
If u got flex your rpm beyond 6500rpm and u need shaft rockers

·
Registered
563 Posts
Go with steel and never look back.
I have Comp and Crower from the early 90’s with ten thousands of miles still Running strong.
Just check eBay or a swapmeet and see all these 12-15 special sets of alu rockers like new😂

·
Vendor
9,465 Posts
Harland Sharp makes the BBC rockers Straub Tech & AFR sells ( or did a couple years ago) and seem like a good rocker, I had a set of the BBC Comp Pro Mags and those are VERY nice but I couldn't get my geometry right so sent them back, IMO steel is stronger so better for a rocker, I have 170 lbs closed 450 lbs open
Just shipped AFR 100 sets of rockers 3 weeks ago. We have had very good luck with the rockers. Brodix has sent us a few customers for them also.

·
Premium Member
1968 Malibu sport coupe, 489 ci. 590 hp 600 tq, RV T-400 Freakshow 3200 stall, 3.73 12 bolt posi
10,595 Posts
Just shipped AFR 100 sets of rockers 3 weeks ago. We have had very good luck with the rockers. Brodix has sent us a few customers for them also.
I'm Very happy with the rockers I bought from you, IIRC I returned the 8 Exh. rockers since the Int. rockers worked perfectly on all 16 valves on my Brodix RR heads with a .600/.600 lift cam, you sent me the other 8 Int. rockers and covered shipping both ways, Thank You (y)

Reactions: FrankU
1 - 17 of 17 Posts