Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
3,096 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a deal where I want to get a Strip Dominator intake locally from a guy but he will not sell it without the heads. They are 215's and I do not remember much about them other than they are oval ports. Maybe someone could give me some specs on them.

·
Registered
4,658 Posts
Large ovals, semi-closed chambers usually measure about 103 - 105cc's. Good heads, can be milled a bit to end up with decent compression with flat tops.

Reactions: 427L88

·
Premium Member
17,693 Posts
while theoretically ( and empirically at rpm) open chambers make better HP, these "shrouded" bathtubs can make GOBs of midrange TQ. Hope a pro chimes in here but CAUTION: when unshrouding the EX valves on these heads, one can cut close to the water jackets. Hopefully they are near virgin, so no issue. Assume you would resell them.

PS bring an intake gasket and check the heads for core shift . You'll get a more than a few nickles off if they're off.

Block of instruction if you'd like ( core shift is around 6 mins in) :

·
Registered
4,658 Posts
These are the same ones good ol Ed had on his 468 that ran low 10's in his '68 Chevelle. I know they had some work done to them but sure made some steam. They aren't nearly as shrouded as the true closed chamber bathtubs like 702's. GM reintroduced them in the 90's on some 454's that didn't get the L29's. I have a couple of pairs to use on pump gas flat top piston builds.

·
Registered
3,096 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If these are indeed 215's and they are around 99cc's with my 2349 pistons that would make for 13.04 compression ratio. Would make for an interesting build. Wonder how much the top end power will suffer with the closed chambers vs. open.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,960 Posts
The '215 was for big blocks like the fuelie heads were for small blocks. They were OEM on some of the 427 iron head, oval port engines. Maybe someone like Vizard, who's done a lot of dyno testing, can chime in to shed some light on your top end power question.

·
Premium Member
17,693 Posts
according to the gurus, you cant make the exhaust flow well enough to make great steam with these. ( Mark Jones) .

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
Well that may be the reason my 454 can only muster 115 mph 1/4 @4000 lbs. But also mine do not have any professional work, just back yard hack. Stock valve sizes. I am hoping with my new convertor it will do a little better, the old 2500 stall boggs the poop out of it.

·
Premium Member
17,693 Posts
115 isnt too shabby! Hey, I didnt say they "sucked", only that a head guru thinks they dont "suck well enough" on the exhaust side. This must be the reason so many shops want to backcut around the exhaust valve on these.

·
Super Moderator
13,245 Posts
There are probably some exceptions out there but everyone I know that has bought used cylinder heads has wished they had not done it.

Just saying,

·
Registered
3,096 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Guess I am in trouble, every set of heads I have are used. Only a few problems but the performance is in the work you put into them. Watched Vortecpro put a high dollar BB head on his machine in one video and the the seats were not concentric at all and that from $2K heads brand new. Not that they are all that way but for me I do not trust most peoples machine work unless I know them.

I think the reason top end is hindered can be found in one of Vortecpro's videos how Mark explains about the need to get the engine to carry over peak HP and that means working over the exhaust port more. Must work, Mark seems to have a lot of top end on his stuff.

·
Super Moderator
13,245 Posts
Guess I am in trouble, every set of heads I have are used

My comment was meant to be for guys that buy a set of heads expecting to bolt them on and run them. If you are just getting them for cores that is a totally different story :)

·
Premium Member
28,697 Posts
115 isnt too shabby! Hey, I didnt say they "sucked", only that a head guru thinks they dont "suck well enough" on the exhaust side. This must be the reason so many shops want to backcut around the exhaust valve on these.

agreed on the 115 MPH :thumbsup:
I have a pair of 063 heads (same as a 215 in all reality) and at .600 lift the exhaust flows 215-220 cfm

·
Registered
3,096 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
My comment was meant to be for guys that buy a set of heads expecting to bolt them on and run them. If you are just getting them for cores that is a totally different story :)
:thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
17,693 Posts
I bought a "virgin" set of 781s. Aint no virgins 40 years old. When assembling the rockers, I found a misaligned helicoil in one of the rocker bosses. :( Sure wish I had found that during the 5-6 hours of grinding I did on them. Amatuer close inspection. :( I DID, however, have an intake gasket with me. At least they have no shift.

68, did you do the deal yet? Where the ports centered when gasket is centered on intake holes?

·
Registered
3,096 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
So, I just got the heads and they are more like my old 702's I think, maybe. They are in real good shape with a nice set of springs on them and the valves and all look good. The chambers I think are more of the 106 to 108 cc rather than the 99 but that ok. I did get a oval port Strip Dominator, nice roller rockers, new push rods and some other goodies in the deal. The guy was trying to get me not to buy the stuff which I thought was funny but it seems his friend wanted the stuff for his BB project. In the end he did sell all of the stuff at a fair price. Now I will get to do over some CC Big Block heads.

·
Premium Member
1968 Malibu sport coupe, 489 ci. 590 hp 600 tq, RV T-400 Freakshow 3200 stall, 3.73 12 bolt posi
9,105 Posts
After I had my 063 heads machined (2nd time) for 1.88/2.19 valves, these had already been worked on by the PO and milled who knows how many times, they cc'd 98-99 but I think I have $1000+ in them, but some of that went to a crappy machine shop :|

1 - 20 of 68 Posts