Team Chevelle banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
14,294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I see that Lakewood has a bellhousing for a TKO. Would the standard-issue Lakewood part# work?

Thanks

·
Registered
2,303 Posts
Just say no to Lakewood if you haven't purchased one already and buy a McLeod. Price is similar and the McLeod is dimensionally superior by leaps and bounds.

·
Premium Member
8,123 Posts
Yes the std Lakewood works fine used mine with my TKO 600.....MCleod are definitely machined with better tolerances if you already have a Lakewood check the dimensions and adjust accordingly but if you need to buy new go McLeod less hassle

·
Registered
14,294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I would get the Mcleod if I were to go new. But, my cheap AZZ is looking to go used. I gotta lead on a used Lakewood for 50-75.00 , so I'm willing to deal w/some BS.

·
Premium Member
4,811 Posts
You can't just use any TKO transmission and mate it to a GM bellhousing. I believe it has to be one with the GM front bearing plate so the size is the same as the register hole. Like a TKO #4616, 4618 or 5009. Those are the "GM TKO's". Anyway,.....I used my old Lakewood bellhousing. I did dial it in with offset dowels and have had no issues with it.

·
Administrator
15,813 Posts
I beleive the part number listed as for a TKO install is to adapt the non GM model into a GM vehicle. The length of the input shaft and mounting bolt pattern are really the only 2 things that stop the Ford models from fitting.

·
Registered
14,294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Cool guys look like it will work then.

Just won a the scattersheild and blockplate for 50.00!!!

If I could just get the trans cheap...

·
Administrator
15,813 Posts
Vince I hope you have better luck than I did. I tried to dial in a used Lakewood and finally gave up. After 20 hours of labor and 2 sets of offset dowel pins I gave up and sold it to a guy that was installing a Muncie. Next week I am going to to our local hot rod shop and buying a McLeod unit.
I think the older Lakewoods may be more of a problem to dial in than the new ones.

·
Registered
14,294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'll try it, if it don't work it goes back on Ebay.

I am aware of the fitment issues of the Lakewood units. The Mcleod are like 400.00 though, so I HAVE to try this first and see what happens.

·
Registered
14,294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks Mike...good price!

·
Premium Member
7,945 Posts
Vince, Do yourself a favor and buy these offset dowels. They worked great!

http://www.robbmcperformance.com/products/dowels.html

Mike
Yup, those are the way to go. Cheaper than the lakewood versions, I wish I would have got them. Dialing in a bellhousing is a PITA. I had a mcleod, my engine was not align honed, and the bell was off by 7.5" thous, I must have got a lemon. So even though they are supposed to be aligned at factory, please check before you install everything just as you would with a lakewood! :yes:

·
Registered
14,294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ok guys, have some questions on this Lakewood.

How much of an impact does the paint on the housing and block plate make? Looks like there's some surface rust. I cleaned it up with a abrasive disc till I got to metal. But, it looks like Lakewood paints 'em good cause it was tuff to get that paint off. I think I should paint it again, b/c if it rusts it may swell up and throw off measurements?

Next, I rigged up my dial indicator as best I could (its too big, but I have another coming on Monday) and I think its good enough to give me an idea of what's going on. Its showing that I'm .028 out, and I can repeat these measurement all the time. Sould I get .014 dowels? Next, is paralellism (sp?) need to be checked?

·
Premium Member
203 Posts
69-CHVL

At .028" you're right, you need .014" dowels. Parallelism should be checked too. It should be .002". Clean the painted surface where it contacts the block and transmission to bare metal and put an even coat of paint on it and clean the back of the block and inspect it for any burrs or dirt that may interfere with a good fit. Lakewood scattershields have a bore of 4.684" which is .004" bigger than it needs to be. Divide by 2 and you have .002" so even if you get a zero reading you will still be out by .002" (which is acceptable) because the tranmission will lay on the bottom of the hole. Lakewoods are good housings but they are primarily made for racing. McLeod's are also SFI approved but the added detailed machining makes them easier to install because they're made to be on spec.

·
Registered
14,294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks Jim, Did you get my email?

If my parallellism is off, how do you adjust - shims?

1 - 20 of 39 Posts