Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone using a Lakewood scattershield? Ever have an alignment problem? I am beginning to think that my vibration problem may be scattershield alignment. I have the engine out now and want to check everything I can before I put her back in. Is a scattershield really necessary w/ a LS7 4 speed, Dual Friction clutch that will see the high side of 6500 turns?

------------------
ACES #02334
Mike Crosby

·
Premium Member
51 Posts
The scattershield will cedrtainly keep high speed clutch parts fron cutting off your toes or nose to spit your face etc. My Lakewood was very tight fit. The backer plate has no tolerance and the center bore for the tranny was way tight.

Dan

·
Super Moderator
13,090 Posts
Mike,
Stop by and I will show you how to check the alignment of the blow shield.

------------------
Bill Koustenis
Advanced Automotive Machine
Waldorf Md

G

·
i'm having same problem. i read a tech article that said to mount a dial indicator centered on the crank and indicate big hole in bellhousing. if it is out they sell offset dowel pins.if you leave it out of alignment it will wipe out front bearing in trans.

------------------

·
Registered
104 Posts
had the same problem with mine kept takin out the pilot bushing I finally realigned the dowell pins on the rear of the block....

·
Registered
39 Posts
Alignment between the centerline of the crank and the input shaft is critical for longevity. The May 99 Car Craft has a short procedure on page 76. In summary:

Mount the bellhousing to the back of the block. Mount a dial indicator on a magnetic base to the crankshaft. Zero the indicator on the inside edge of the bearing retainer pilot hole. Check runout at 3, 6, 9, & 12 o'clock positions. Runout should be less than 0.005 inch.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.