Premium Member
12,053 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just saw that Scat now owns AFR.

·
Premium Member
12,053 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No. A private equity group owns them both. There will be announcements of more purchases by this equity group in the near future.
That is kind of what I meant. Didn't know all the formal names and what not.

·
Registered
7,116 Posts
This equity group has the same idea as the rest of them, make the parts cheaper and find bigger profits by any means possible. So AFR being known for one of the best aftermarket heads available, will likely suffer in quality.

To be fair, we saw similar things when Holley bought a bunch of companies. Everyone knows MSD's quality isn't what it used to be.

·
Vendor
9,485 Posts
The private equity group that own PAC, Texas Speed, and a few others purchased Race Winning Brands around the end of Nov. RWB owned, Dart, Manley, Victory, Diamond, Trend, JE, Wiesco and GRP...... As it stands we will have 3 major "tribes" that own the vast majority of the industry.

·
Registered
7,116 Posts
The private equity group that own PAC, Texas Speed, and a few others purchased Race Winning Brands around the end of Nov. RWB owned, Dart, Manley, Victory, Diamond, Trend, JE, Wiesco and GRP...... As it stands we will have 3 major "tribes" that own the vast majority of the industry.
who are the other 2?

·
Premium Member
12,053 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
What do these terms "tribes" and Bean Counter mean?

·
Premium Member
1,083 Posts
In this inference ‘tribes’ refers private equity firms that are conglomerate.
‘Bean counters’ is a derogatory term aimed towards accounts caring only about the bottom line profit.

·
Premium Member
7,594 Posts
That happen at a place where I use to work, didn't work out too good. They didn't want to spend on required maintenance, & production & quality suffered & they couldn't figure out why.

·
Registered
88 Posts
This equity group has the same idea as the rest of them, make the parts cheaper and find bigger profits by any means possible. So AFR being known for one of the best aftermarket heads available, will likely suffer in quality.

To be fair, we saw similar things when Holley bought a bunch of companies. Everyone knows MSD's quality isn't what it used to be.
I was going to put a like on the post but then put the brakes on because I don't like it .
Instead ill just say yes absolutely

·
Premium Member
114 Posts
Toyota just replaced GM as the top selling automaker in US. Yes one can make quality products and stay profitable if they have a long range view and are not operated by bean counters

I hope this holds true for these "private equity" funds/companies, but I doubt it - as their business model is usually about squeezing every last drop of blood, and then sell it.

·
Premium Member
12,053 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
In this inference ‘tribes’ refers private equity firms that are conglomerate.
‘Bean counters’ is a derogatory term aimed towards accounts caring only about the bottom line profit.

I never heard of any of that stuff.

·
Premium Member
12,053 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I know nothing of business in what yall are talking about. I dont like any of that.

Business talk messes up my entire life. I hate how people look at that. None of how what yall are saying does me any good.

If an owner like Mike Jones or Chris Straub started to grow their business and move toward bigger things like the major brands like Luanti, Comp, and etc. They would be gobbled up into the same kind of thinking.

I hate business talk. My outlook is totally away from all that. I dont view business the same way I guess.

·
Vendor
9,485 Posts
who are the other 2?
Eddy Group, Holley Group, and the PAC group which was the old Race Winnings Brands. The AFR group is getting started so depending on which companies they secure will determine their size.

·
Vendor
9,485 Posts
I never heard of any of that stuff.
I'm sure you and the wife have watched Pretty Woman.....Richard Gere was a private equity guy......like them or not they are part of the business world.

·
Premium Member
12,053 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I'm sure you and the wife have watched Pretty Woman.....Richard Gere was a private equity guy......like them or not they are part of the business world.
What? Where did that come from?

No, I'm not married and have no children. Farthest thing from my mind.

I have not watched the movie. I have seen clips of it. I like Roy Orbinson. That is about all I can say about private equity. I would have to learn more. I dont know if I like them or not. I could care less I guess. I will now find out more about what they are.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Toyota just replaced GM as the top selling automaker in US.
According to the Wall Street Journal, the computer chip shortage is largely behind this, Toyota, more so than all the other car manufacturers, decided that COVID would not kill demand for automobiles like the other manufacturers forecasted, and so Toyota began hoarding the chips. Also according to the WSJ, GM had been the largest selling manufacturer of automobiles in the US every year since 1931.

·
Premium Member
12,053 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
That is very interesting. I never look at that kind of stuff.

Power discussion really is what that goes into.

·
Vendor
9,485 Posts
According to the Wall Street Journal, the computer chip shortage is largely behind this, Toyota, more so than all the other car manufacturers, decided that COVID would not kill demand for automobiles like the other manufacturers forecasted, and so Toyota began hoarding the chips. Also according to the WSJ, GM had been the largest selling manufacturer of automobiles in the US every year since 1931.
Before teh Tsunami in Japan, Toyota kept 3 months of inventory on the shelf. After the Tsunami, it took Toyota 2 years to get back to normal because that region of Japan, Kobi, is where most of Toyota's warehousing was located. The decision was made then that they would carry 2 years supply of inventory from then on so that if something like this ever happened they would have supply in the chain.

1 - 20 of 89 Posts