Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JULY's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All, I have owned my 67 Chevelle since high school and am finally getting around to updating it. Just sold my bike to do so. I spoke with Mark Savitski of SC&C and really liked him and felt he would be a good person to deal with. However, I notice that he uses some UMI parts in the package I was going to get - Stage 2 Plus kit. Then, I did some research on the UMI suspension package and can get a lot more for my money with their Stage 3+ or Stage 4 kits. I was wondering if anyone could tell me whether I should stay with SC&C or go with UMI??Tech support and ease of installation are important, but overall quality is my main concern.

Also, I'm switching over to power disc brakes all around and was uncertain IF I should use a drop spindle and also have the 1" or 2" lowering kit with the suspension kit.

My dad and I will be doing all the work and we are NOT mechanics but have worked on cars for years (mostly painting and bodywork).

·
Premium Member
1,554 Posts
I think both are outstanding companies and you aren't going to make a bad decision either way. I went with SC&C and I don't regret anything about it. I have had my suspension for about 2 years now every now and then I still call Marc for information and he is always happy to help. From what I have heard I also think that UMI is giving that same level of services. I am not an expert in UMI's set up but I know the benefit to SC&C is that the upper control arms are adjustable without using shims. It sounds stupid, but to me that was a win.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Hi All, I have owned my 67 Chevelle since high school and am finally getting around to updating it. Just sold my bike to do so. I spoke with Mark Savitski of SC&C and really liked him and felt he would be a good person to deal with. However, I notice that he uses some UMI parts in the package I was going to get - Stage 2 Plus kit. Then, I did some research on the UMI suspension package and can get a lot more for my money with their Stage 3+ or Stage 4 kits. I was wondering if anyone could tell me whether I should stay with SC&C or go with UMI??Tech support and ease of installation are important, but overall quality is my main concern.

Also, I'm switching over to power disc brakes all around and was uncertain IF I should use a drop spindle and also have the 1" or 2" lowering kit with the suspension kit.

My dad and I will be doing all the work and we are NOT mechanics but have worked on cars for years (mostly painting and bodywork).

Those ATS spindles are why his kits seem like you are getting less I have not decided what approach I am going on suspension but I feel I will happy with umi. Questions to ask yourself real purpose of car and here is where no one is truely honest. Be honest with yourself do you want a track car or scca cone dodger or just want to be able to drive a curvy road with out feeling like you are gonna die when you are 10 over the speed limit or running late to work. Wheels and tire give the most traction out of all those mods. They are nice peices in the kit. But look at your budget if you don't have one make one. Figure out what you want from your car. Like me I really want AC and power windows and some comphort cause I drive my chevelle to work all summer long every day. I will use those more then track ready parts any day. I do want suspension parts also but I can buy all the parts in there kits one by one affordably, probably start with upper A-arms as they give the most correction. I don't have the money to build or run against a full chassis car or the time or money to do track days all the time to get my car dialed in so that takes allot out it and which is why I am thinking of going with a umi setup. Really again comes down to needs here especially when you are talking about money you don't have to often. Just saying might not be your case but I look at when I have money for larger cost items I spend them on just that. Can't buy some stuff one part at a time like engine heads bought those after I sold my motorcycle when my son was born. You won't get that advise from a guy who selling suspension parts but he will tell you how to make your car handle the best for that amount of money. Just be sure you need all that suspension for your usage. As far as your drop goes tape measurer make sure you will have the clearance you need headers oil pan look under the car at what is gonna scrape if you run over a pot hole or need to go over a speedbump. You know better then me what your roads are like. I had side pipes on mine for a while and they literally scraped everywhere they are no longer on the car. Never guess always measure never believe what you read unless you check it first. Mark knows his stuff ask any one who has dealt with him on the pro touring website. Are his kits worth it depends on your application and where you plan on going long run with the car. Soul search make a plan and stick to it.

·
Premium Member
12,727 Posts
Steve, when you spoke with Mark did he mention that he he's written a book "How to make your muscle car handle". It is available at Amazon as well as other places. Might be the best $25.00 you spend on your suspension. Make educated choices.

·
Registered
1970 Chevelle, MJ 467, 600hp/600tq, Moser 12 bolt M22Z muncie
799 Posts
Steve, when you spoke with Mark did he mention that he he's written a book "How to make your muscle car handle". It is available at Amazon as well as other places. Might be the best $25.00 you spend on your suspension. Make educated choices.
Great advice, I did the exact same thing, bought the book then made my suspension choices. Mark is one sharp dude.

·
Registered
6,201 Posts
I think both are outstanding companies and you aren't going to make a bad decision either way. I went with SC&C and I don't regret anything about it. I have had my suspension for about 2 years now every now and then I still call Marc for information and he is always happy to help. From what I have heard I also think that UMI is giving that same level of services. I am not an expert in UMI's set up but I know the benefit to SC&C is that the upper control arms are adjustable without using shims. It sounds stupid, but to me that was a win.

UMI Perf has them too, here is one example
1964-1972 GM A-Body Front Upper A-arms, Adjustable [4056-1] - $449.99 : UMI Performance, Inc.

·
Vendor
1,217 Posts
Hey Steve,

Happy New Year! Thanks for including UMI as one of your choices. Mark at SC&C is a great guy, we deal with Mark a lot and he sells UMI items.

Of course I am going to be a UMI fan (duh, right?) but it wouldn't be necessarily comparing UMI to SC&C since Mark sells SPC brand in his kit so it would be comparing SPC to UMI when it comes to build quality, specific product ect.

But here's some things about UMI: We offer excellent service, if you search UMI you will see our guys are on here all the time to help, we have positive reviews on here and not negative. We build what we sell and race what we sell. 99% of the products we offer are designed and built in our shop, sawed, machined, laser cut, welded, powder coated and assembled all under one roof. This allows us to control what the customer receives better and allows us to make running changes or catch issues before they occur. Of course I know this isn't important to everyone but when I stand in the middle of our shop floor and see 37 people hustling, building away I get a sense of pride :).

We race what we sell: About 4 years ago we decided that if we wanted to be all in we needed to expand. Over the years we have built a collection of test cars that we run all over the country at different events. Our shop currently has 10 test cars sitting in it being used for product design and fitment. Most of those cars also see the autocross track, the road course and lots of fun street miles. This helps us to know that the products we are building are able to handle the abuse, perform well and last.

As for our kits, we can build a kit anyway you want it. For spindles.... I honestly suggest the factory spindles if an ATS is not in your budget. All the brake companies now offer kits that work on factory disc and drum spindles. The factory spindle from what I am aware was forged in the good ole USA many years ago... other new spindles are now Chinese. Keep the good USA stuff. We can use taller ball joints in the factory spindles to gain spindle height and improve the geometry. Our springs are built in the USA and feature much higher rates for better performance while still maintaining a good ride and we can do them in 1" or 2" lowering. Our shocks are hand built in the USA as well and feature our own valving code for best performance, they aren't just off the shelf Bilstein shocks. One cool thing about UMI is we offer lots of options, different joints such as poly, Delrin, rod ends, Roto-Joints. We offer difference size sway bars and other options. We even offer red or black powder coat... which yes, is important to many!

That is just a quick run down. Please let us know if we can help, we are glad to discuss your set up and what works best.

Thank you!
Ryan

1 - 8 of 8 Posts