Team Chevelle banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been living in NJ my whole life and have my 69 Chevelle registered QQ (No inspection/registration fee)
Can anyone tell me how states like SC handle similar registrations should my car and I retire down south?

·
Registered
1964 Chevrolet Chevelle Malibu 4 door
1,721 Posts
If it's anything like NC you will have to take it to the DMV license/theft bureau to have VIN checked, then no inspection afterwards. I'm just paying plate/taxes on my 64 in NC.

·
Premium Member
7,050 Posts
Georgia is super easy - can't speak to the other states.

·
Gold Founding Member
5,803 Posts
Tennessee is as easy as it gets, classic tags require no inspection and tags are permanent.

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Louisiana is exactly the same as Tennessee. And low fees of around $35.00 to establish this within the Louisiana DMV.

Rick

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
5,146 Posts
As long as you have a current title, just move and re title and register. You must have a current title.

I got my 66 from a NE state that did not require it to be titled. My purchase was contingent on that owner getting a title. He did and no problems with title and registration in SC. Note that you will need to pay the ad velorum tax, get the receipt from the county, then take that to the DMV for the title and tag stuff.

Heads up. If you have a boat with an outboard, you need a title for both. Dont ask how I know that.

·
Premium Member
7,050 Posts
As long as you have a current title, just move and re title and register. You must have a current title.

I got my 66 from a NE state that did not require it to be titled. My purchase was contingent on that owner getting a title. He did and no problems with title and registration in SC. Note that you will need to pay the ad velorum tax, get the receipt from the county, then take that to the DMV for the title and tag stuff.

Heads up. If you have a boat with an outboard, you need a title for both. Dont ask how I know that.
Actually, Georgia doesn't title cars over 25 years old, they are bought/sold/registered on a bill of sale. And I'm pretty sure Georgia will REFUSE to title a car over 25 years old, so not sure what would transpire if you were to demand a title if/when purchasing a Georgia car.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Actually, Georgia doesn't title cars over 25 years old, they are bought/sold/registered on a bill of sale. And I'm pretty sure Georgia will REFUSE to title a car over 25 years old, so not sure what would transpire if you were to demand a title if/when purchasing a Georgia car.
That’s right .... protect your bill of sale.... I take a pick of the registratiom, just in case...

·
Premium Member
5,146 Posts
It has been virtually impossible for me to buy a non titled car from GA and title and tag it here in SC.

I have been fortunate to only have bought parts cars from Ga. Oh by the way I have an 85 Turbo Coupe for sale for parts only due to the above......

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
I have titled old motorcycles lacking titles here in Louisiana by going through Vermont. As long as the National Crime Information Center computer check done by Vermont does not indicate the VIN as being stolen, its OK. The very progressive DMV clerks at the Montpelier, VT DMV office don't care where you live because VT law does not demand that you live in Vermont to register a vehicle. However, 25 yr old and older vehicles and those with engines less than 300 CC's don't get titles - only a plate and registration.

But with a printed copy of Vermont DMV law in hand, it is easy here in Louisiana and many other states to take the VT registration and upgrade it to a Louisiana title. The clerks here even give me a tax credit for the six percent sales tax I paid in Vermont. I walk out with a Louisiana plate and registration and a full, normal title shows up in the mail maybe a week later.

Rick

1 - 12 of 12 Posts