Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have put a small block into my dad's '81 4X4 Datsun truck and have always had a miss/hard time starting when cold, and I wanted to make sure we have the ignition system wired correctly. I thought maybe we had to many volts getting to the points/condensor and ruining the condensor. I drew a schematic in paint of how its wired...

I have the plugs gap'd @ .035", I have cleanded them several times, I have cleaned the points numerous times and gapped them to .016", bought a new condensor for the distributor, changed to an Accel Super coil, it has new plug wires that also have the correct resistance. I have changed the distributor cap and rotor. The timing curve is good with 12* initial, full manifold vacccum that raises it to 29*, and 43* while cruising(36* total. A while ago I did a test where I turned the key to the on position and opened the points with a screw driver, and they sparked which wasn't supposed to happen, the condensor was supposed to absorb the energy, could that be the problem somehow? Any info appreciated!

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
You will still have some arcing on the points even with a capacitor in there. That's why points need to be replaced due to pitting. Think that was the question.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well I bought a new balast resistor for it tonight and stuck it on. I'll find out if that was the problem when he goes to start it tomorro morning in the cold.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts