Team Chevelle banner

SBC and BBC fuel pumps interchangable?

41K views 10 replies 10 participants last post by  realz69 
#1 ·
I tried a search, I did find that the fuel pump push rods are the same, but I couldn't find a definitive yay/nay for the fuel pump itself.

Can an SB pump be used on a BB?

Specifically:
SB is '69, BB is mid-70s.

Thanks,
Andrew

#2 ·
No. they do not interchange.

#6 ·
#7 ·
I know this is an old thread but I am stuck. I bought a fuel pump (stock cheapie) for a small block 307 in my jeep. It will not work on the motor, However I take it off and bench test it and it works just fine. The pump push rod slides out easily and is not scarred up on the cam lobe end. The push rod is the same as in another sbc I have. The numbers stamped on the box and on the FP identify it as a sbc fuel pump. Could it be that it is mismarked and is a bbc fuel pump? I understand that they will both mount up to the block correct? I'm confused never had this happen before. TIA
Best regards Chip
http://www.nastyz28.com/forum/editpost.php?do=editpost&p=3134473

#9 ·
I tried a search, I did find that the fuel pump push rods are the same, but I couldn't find a definitive yay/nay for the fuel pump itself.

Can an SB pump be used on a BB?

Specifically:
SB is '69, BB is mid-70s.

Thanks,
Andrew
I bought a SB pump in error and the fuel line fitting was smaller going to the carb. I want to say it was 1/4" on the sb and 3/8" on my bb from what i recall. Some pumps do have a fitting for a return line.

#10 ·
The big difference is the fuel pump arm. Small block and "W" big-block are the same. Mark IV big block is different.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.