Chevelles.com banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 67 Malibu. I got a 70 454/th400 (no pumps/alt) from my uncle that I plan on swapping with my current 327/PG. I already have power discs up front but I was wondering what else I should/need replace to accomidate the big block. I already figured new front springs but Im not sure what else will need to be replaced. Im not looking for exact details, Im just trying to get an idea of what to expect when I go to buy the stuff.

Thanks
Dan

·
Registered
172 Posts
Exaust manifolds, Alt/PS Brackets & pulleys, Fuel pump, Raditor shroud, Radiator(maybe), Radiator hoses, Spark plug wires(maybe,depending on the length of your wires you have), Thats all that come to mind right now.

------------------

–Joe454–
"67 Malibu"

·
Registered
84 Posts
tranny support crossmember too ? can't imagine that the one you got will line up with a TH400

------------------
members.tripod.com/dfdolerjr

·
Registered
100 Posts
The turbo 400 is longer, so you will have to shorten the driveshaft, change the yoke & modify the crossbrace. Nothing real serious, though. The motor mounts are different.

One mistake a lot of people make when swapping is not changing the motor mount towers-the brackets that mount to the frame & accept the motor mount. Big block pieces are a little shorter than smallblocks. The bigblock engine will go in, but it will sit a little high, and will give you major grief if you try to put headers on the car. These parts just bolt on, so they are an easy swap (when the motor is out).

G'luck!

------------------

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.