Team Chevelle banner
61 - 80 of 203 Posts

·
Banned
2,671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #62 ·
Eh that would mean either taking the grill out or pullin the motor. Idk . Intake and heads are off . It wouldn't be that bad i guess.
If it comes out of there id put an isky ive
Got in there . Low 220's @ 050 520 lift .
Already thought about it . Probably wouldn't take more than a nudge to get me to do it lol

Reactions: oldguy67

·
Registered
5,488 Posts
If the cam and lifters are good then advance the stock cam some and you will be amazed at what good heads do with a stock cam.

what would you do if the old seats were already shot ?
I would see what diameter the valves were ..if they were 1.94-1.50 I would cut the pockets for 2.00 or 2.02-1.60 valves if that would allow the seats to clean up.

If they were shot and had 2.02 valves and heavily ported they would become door stops until I felt really froggy and maybe go to a 2.05 and see if that fixes it.

Usually if the seats are shot the guides are shot also.
A sloppy guide will ruin a valve seat in a hurry. say 2 weeks or less..Been there.
Ruined the 1.94 valve and the seat in 1 hole.

I told the machine shop the guide felt loose and took the head to them and showed them and they assured me it was fine.
Yea 2 weeks later that 1 head was back in their shop and I had them install a new guide and a 2.02 valve in that hole.
They wanted to do a seat insert.
I mentioned to them about how much porting those bowls had and they responded with yea sometimes there is not enough meat there.

They went out of business .

·
Banned
2,671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #64 ·
If the cam and lifters are good then advance the stock cam some and you will be amazed at what good heads do with a stock cam.

I would see what diameter the valves were ..if they were 1.94-1.50 I would cut the pockets for 2.00 or 2.02-1.60 valves if that would allow the seats to clean up.

If they were shot and had 2.02 valves and heavily ported they would become door stops until I felt really froggy and maybe go to a 2.05 and see if that fixes it.

Usually if the seats are shot the guides are shot also.
A sloppy guide will ruin a valve seat in a hurry. say 2 weeks or less..Been there.
Ruined the 1.94 valve and the seat in 1 hole.

I told the machine shop the guide felt loose and took the head to them and showed them and they assured me it was fine.
Yea 2 weeks later that 1 head was back in their shop and I had them install a new guide and a 2.02 valve in that hole.
They wanted to do a seat insert.
I mentioned to them about how much porting those bowls had and they responded with yea sometimes there is not enough meat there.

They went out of business .
Yeah I was just thinkin them heads i got might work real good with a stock low duration cam . I'm gonna put the 1.6 rollers I got on the intake side and the 1.5 on the exhaust.
And yeah that sounds like a good idea on advancing the cam. 3 or 4 degrees you think?

I think you're confused about the heads though . The 882's that were originally on there i didn't want to use .
The nice old 186's i had on the shelf need work and machine shop wouldn't be able to get em done for about 2 weeks .
Billdini recommend some decent heads that summit sells but those heads along with ever other set i looked at were 2 to 10 weeks out .
I couldn't wait .
So I have went with these because they were able to ship immediately and they will be at my door on Friday .

I'm still getting the 186's worked over anyway just so I got em. Them are nice heads .
I think those are 194 ...you sayin I should have shop make them 202 ?

Here are the heads i bought that will go on the truck this weekend

·
Premium Member
1968 Malibu sport coupe, 489 ci. 590 hp 600 tq, RV T-400 Freakshow 3200 stall, 3.73 12 bolt posi
9,333 Posts
Gotta remember it's your Work truck, I get carried away with everything I do, did some work 2 yrs ago for a guy that did a big bore kit on a newer Harley and gave me his 95" cylinders, pistons etc. stuff he pulled off, I almost pulled apart my dyno tuned 88" motor to put that stuff on then I came to my senses LOL...Edit But then again if it'll run better and you're this far in...???

·
Premium Member
3,962 Posts
Anybody know or have a clue as to what spec a stock bumpstick would have been in one of these lower hp mid/late 70's 350's ?
Al probably the .390 lift cam used in all the 350 300hp and below. It was a decent cam for the street and even used in a lot of marine engines. Anything hotter was the L82 cam which was basically the 350/350 cam wit 450/460 lift. I don't think the stock 350 cam even reached 2 on duration. 1.94 sticks in my head for some reason. With the 64cc heads you bought you will likely be 9.5 to possibly 10 to 1 if you have flat tops which you probably don't.. I would look for something around 214 duration or slightly higher for a truck with your hot gears

·
Banned
2,671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #68 ·
Al probably the .390 lift cam used in all the 350 300hp and below. It was a decent cam for the street and even used in a lot of marine engines. Anything hotter was the L82 cam which was basically the 350/350 cam wit 450/460 lift. I don't think the stock 350 cam even reached 2 on duration. 1.94 sticks in my head for some reason. With the 64cc heads you bought you will likely be 9.5 to possibly 10 to 1 if you have flat tops which you probably don't.. I would look for something around 214 duration or slightly higher for a truck with your hot gears
They're dish pistons and have an "H" on top .
I'll leave this possible stock cam or whatever it is in there . I think its stock .
Should be interesting with very short duration with big valves and 200 cc runner and this old high intake im puttin on there.
Them heads and intake should really wake it up especially up higher im thinkin

·
Premium Member
3,962 Posts
They're dish pistons and have an "H" on top .
I'll leave this possible stock cam or whatever it is in there . I think its stock .
Should be interesting with very short duration with big valves and 200 cc runner and this old high intake im puttin on there.
Them heads and intake should really wake it up especially up higher im thinkin
If the cam allows the heads to do their stuff. You know the old saying the parts must match and putting in highflow heads with a crap cam is not a matching set. I did a quick google on that intake and it came back as a Chevy Performance Z28 or a marine intake. That is one strange bolt pattern for the carb(s)

·
Premium Member
3,962 Posts
Al just so you know my wife's 71 350 had dish with 76cc heads and was rated at 8.5 compression. My bet it was closer to 8.3 comp. I am installing flat tops but with only 2 valve reliefs and 72 cc heads so with a .020 head gasket I should be close to 9.25 to 1 and i suspect you will be in that same ballpark with 64cc heads and dish pistons. I would be afraid as hell installing a Flat tappet and a roller will add a grand by the time you done with all the pieces. The intake has some big runners and your heads have good size runners but I suspect your engine may be pretty soft on the bottom end and with the stock cam you will have no top end at all. You have a decision to make Al. Some of those parts would run on that 327 in the corner with the right cam.

·
Banned
2,671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #71 ·
If the cam allows the heads to do their stuff. You know the old saying the parts must match and putting in highflow heads with a crap cam is not a matching set. I did a quick google on that intake and it came back as a Chevy Performance Z28 or a marine intake. That is one strange bolt pattern for the carb(s)
Theres no way that cam is gonna let those heads be all they can be . The heads are still flowin good @.530 and the cam if stock might be lifting to under .400 with a stock 1.52 rocker. The 1.6 roller rocker that I'm using on the intake will give me maybe .020 additional lift from a stock .400 lift but still a ways off from what those heads will do .
The duration is very short as well if the cam is stock but that's ok. I'm helping that some by throwing some lungs at the motor. The thing is gonna spin higher than it did for sure .
But that motor is still gonna be a night and day conversation compared to what it was with 882's and a pancake dual plane that belongs in the dumpster with the 882's lol

Put 2 of the same exact trucks in a race .
One before what I'm doin and one with what I'm doing now and the now one will chew the other one up and spit it out .
Will the heads be running optimal ?
No

·
Banned
2,671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #72 ·
Al just so you know my wife's 71 350 had dish with 76cc heads and was rated at 8.5 compression. My bet it was closer to 8.3 comp. I am installing flat tops but with only 2 valve reliefs and 72 cc heads so with a .020 head gasket I should be close to 9.25 to 1 and i suspect you will be in that same ballpark with 64cc heads and dish pistons. I would be afraid as hell installing a Flat tappet and a roller will add a grand by the time you done with all the pieces. The intake has some big runners and your heads have good size runners but I suspect your engine may be pretty soft on the bottom end and with the stock cam you will have no top end at all. You have a decision to make Al. Some of those parts would run on that 327 in the corner with the right cam.
I'm not gonna put flat top pistons in there .
Although I do have some that just came out of the 69 350 block . I don't need that here .
I'll probably be over 9 to 1 with this 64 chamber and I've got 2.52 1st gear with 410 in the ass end . I don't think its gonna be soft down low man .
And as far as top end ...it certainly ain't gonna have less top end than it did lol
Or I don't think so . Idk though I don't have as much experience as all you guys . I'm all ears though. Have been lol
I'm not ALLWAYS all mouth 🤣

·
Premium Member
3,962 Posts
Theres no way that cam is gonna let those heads be all they can be . The heads are still flowin good @.530 and the cam if stock might be lifting to under .400 with a stock 1.52 rocker. The 1.6 roller rocker that I'm using on the intake will give me maybe .020 additional lift from a stock .400 lift but still a ways off from what those heads will do .
The duration is very short as well if the cam is stock but that's ok. I'm helping that some by throwing some lungs at the motor. The thing is gonna spin higher than it did for sure .
But that motor is still gonna be a night and day conversation compared to what it was with 882's and a pancake dual plane that belongs in the dumpster with the 882's lol

Put 2 of the same exact trucks in a race .
One before what I'm doin and one with what I'm doing now and the now one will chew the other one up and spit it out .
Will the heads be running optimal ?
No
Well the nice thing about this situation we will probably know after this weekend if you can get the pushrods in time. Hey this name of the game is to get the truck back on the road and if it runs better that is for the better.

Bill

·
Banned
2,671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #74 ·
Well the nice thing about this situation we will probably know after this weekend if you can get the pushrods in time. Hey this name of the game is to get the truck back on the road and if it runs better that is for the better.

Bill
I honestly don't see that happenin because there's no places you can walk into and just buy pushrods.
When the heads get here Friday we'll get a length asap and then try and find the fastest option to get the pushrods.
The stock pushrods are about 7.8
I'm thinkin I'm gonna need longer ones

·
Premium Member
3,962 Posts
I honestly don't see that happenin because there's no places you can walk into and just buy pushrods.
When the heads get here Friday we'll get a length asap and then try and find the fastest option to get the pushrods.
The stock pushrods are about 7.8
I'm thinkin I'm gonna need longer ones
I am in the same boat once I get my motor back I can then measure mine since I went roller roller. They think 7.1 but will not know until I can measure them. This engine has been down for 3 months now.

·
Banned
2,671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #76 ·
I am in the same boat once I get my motor back I can then measure mine since I went roller roller. They think 7.1 but will not know until I can measure them. This engine has been down for 3 months now.
Yeah I know . Hyd roller ?
I'm drivin the old 94 s10 blazer for now lol
Good ole 350 with 2 cylinders chopped off on that one

·
Premium Member
3,962 Posts
I think the extra pound of compression is worth 25-30 hp. Those heads with flat tops make 10 to one or a bit more so it think my estimation should be close. That’s where you will see the biggest gain.

·
Banned
2,671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #78 ·
I think the extra pound of compression is worth 25-30 hp. Those heads with flat tops make 10 to one or a bit more so it think my estimation should be close. That’s where you will see the biggest gain.
More compression is more hp and torque.
Right ? How are guys running 11.3 on pump gas?
I've heard of it

·
Premium Member
3,962 Posts
Yeah I know . Hyd roller ?
I'm drivin the old 94 s10 blazer for now lol
Good ole 350 with 2 cylinders chopped off on that one
I would like to find a S10 pickup with a 4.3 in it. I owned one earlier with the 2.8. Grandkid who live with us will need a car soon and I am getting tired of snow blowing.

·
Premium Member
3,962 Posts
More compression is more hp and torque.
Right ? How are guys running 11.3 on pump gas?
I've heard of it
My Chevelle is 11 to 1 and it runs great on 93. The L79 cam has a lot of overlap that bleeds off some compression

61 - 80 of 203 Posts