Team Chevelle banner
41 - 60 of 203 Posts

·
Banned
2,671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
Those Summit heads are a good price at $353 each so that's almost $710 dollars right ? So for around $1050 the Brodix aluminum heads come as a pair so for 336 more you get a set of aluminum cylinder heads. You can get those heads with 64 cc chambers for a good rise in compression and in aluminum heads which are much better for detonation resistance.
Summit heads - $353 ea. x2 = $ 706 ......Brodix Heads = 1040.99 pair For a difference of 335 over the Summits
I know what my choice would be.
Yep that would have been my choice to but look at the ship date

Reactions: 71350SS

·
Banned
2,671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
And for a LITTLE MORE YOU CAN........ :LOL: 🤣🤣(y) BTDT ALL my Life LOL
Right ??? Ain't that always the story especially with this game but with everything else in life as well . It's like all I need the this thing to do is function yet the mentality is always try to make it go some faster no matter what it is .
A little scooter. Whatever 🤣

·
Premium Member
1968 Malibu sport coupe, 489 ci. 590 hp 600 tq, RV T-400 Freakshow 3200 stall, 3.73 12 bolt posi
9,312 Posts
Al have you checked Jeggs for their name brand iron SBC heads? maybe they have a set? Never mind $530 & up each

·
Banned
2,671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
I already bought these about 6 hours ago today. I couldn't wait and I couldn't find anything else without a delay.

·
Banned
2,671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
Well 200cc should still work, they seem to be ok on a 5.3 LS engine.
I used the same heads on a 350 and they really woke that tired old low end right up .
But what is the net effect in performance when a bigger intake runner for an application is used .
Would that = losing power ?
Like in what situation would 200 runners be optimal? I mean other than being in a position where other heads can't be had on time like this lol
Would the 200 runner in a 350 be more optimal with a longer cam ?
Am I giving up power by using 200 versus 170 or 185 in this application ?

·
Registered
3,154 Posts
I used the same heads on a 350 and they really woke that tired old low end right up .
But what is the net effect in performance when a bigger intake runner for an application is used .
Would that = losing power ?
Like in what situation would 200 runners be optimal? I mean other than being in a position where other heads can't be had on time like this lol
Would the 200 runner in a 350 be more optimal with a longer cam ?
Am I giving up power by using 200 versus 170 or 185 in this application ?
I don't think the 200cc heads are all that bad, I have a pair on my pump gas 358 200cc Sportsman II's. The car has gone [email protected] on 91 octane with those heads so I think they get the job done. Would a set of my ported Vortecs be better? probably but this is what I have to use on that 358 right now. The Sportsman's are quicker than my 180cc Bowtie heads were.

·
Banned
2,671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
I've got 8 1.6 roller rockers and 8 1.5 roller rockers .
Which would work better in this application?
1.6 on intake and 1.5 on exhaust
Or 1.6 on ex and 1.5 on int ?

·
Premium Member
1968 Malibu sport coupe, 489 ci. 590 hp 600 tq, RV T-400 Freakshow 3200 stall, 3.73 12 bolt posi
9,312 Posts
100 long valves ? Does that mean you need to measure for push rods? I do like they use screw in rocker studs, they have pretty big valves so the extra lift wouldn't really be needed in a work truck I don't think, 200 runners is great for higher rpm isn't it?

·
Banned
2,671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
100 long valves ? Does that mean you need to measure for push rods? I do like they use screw in rocker studs, they have pretty big valves so the extra lift wouldn't really be needed in a work truck I don't think, 200 runners is great for higher rpm isn't it?
Yes ill need to check pushrod length but I was running the exact same heads on a 69 sb and still have the pushrods for that and the rockers and studs . I'm thinkin them pushrods are gonna be the right ones .
As far as lift I have no idea what it is because I don't know what cam is in there .
Never took it apart before we put it in the truck . But yes you're probably right. No point in using 1.6 on either side I guess.
Maybe I'll just use 1.5 on both .
As far as the 200 runner I agree there too but its the only heads I could find at the drop of a hat. The bigger 200 runners might be better suited for more cubic inches but those heads did run good on the stock low end 69 sb in the chevelle. I sold the heads about 4 months ago lol
Now here I am buying the same ones again.
Honestly id much rather have used those 186 heads but I can't wait . Them are nice old iron there !

·
Banned
2,671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
You see what them heads are flowing at. 200 and. 300 compared to Dart and precomp?
Them are nice heads man.
Here's the ole beast. Truck might even do a burn out now lol

Attachments

·
Premium Member
9,312 Posts
I have the same luck about selling stuff, trip over it for a few yrs then sell it cheap usually then a month or 4 later I need it lol, but I quit building bikes so all (almost) those parts are gone and after this car is done (Yeah Right) the rest of this stuff is going too (y) 🍻 Since you already have the 1.6 rockers maybe givem a try on the int for more fuel??? them try the exh what the heck?

·
Registered
5,486 Posts
I pulled more heavy loads with my Nova than most people will with their trucks.
I had the 186 heads on it and my basic income was hauling off scrap iron and doing construction work and that Nova was my truck as I did not have a truck.
Never recessed seats in those heads or the 041 heads I had or any of my 60's Fords or Chryslers.

Now I heard from my uncle the old timer that raced against Petty and all those old guys that you DO NOT ever let the engine Ping or detonate.
Pull timing out or add octane or just plain and simple get your foot out of it do not load it up at low rpm.

That pinging will recess the seats.
With that being told to me I made sure my tune was spot on and in order to do that I had very quiet exhaust on it.
Never had any issues with factory seats in old heads.

I loaned a guy a set of heavily ported 461 heads as his heads were cracked and he needed to get running.
I told him stick new valves in them and lap them and go and do not do anything else to them.

He took them straight to a machine shop and they put hard seats in them and valves.
Guess what happened to those heavily ported heads when he tried to start the engine.

They leaked water from the seat inserts and hydrauliced his engine.
I did not know he did that until after the fact.

The machine shop would not do a thing about it and neither did he and I was out some of the best ported heads I ever had.

Eliminated one guy that was not really my friend in the process.

Not enough meat left after porting to hold a seat well and stay out of water. That is something to think about.

·
Banned
2,671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 ·
Exactly . Never fails.
Don't get rid of it and never use it but sell it or throw it out and then all of a sudden its a lost commodity lol
Yeah I've got no choice now but to try the 1.6 on one side or the other . Ive got 8 1.6 and 8 1.5 .
I've got another full set of roller tips but I may as well use the full rollers
I pulled more heavy loads with my Nova than most people will with their trucks.
I had the 186 heads on it and my basic income was hauling off scrap iron and doing construction work and that Nova was my truck as I did not have a truck.
Never recessed seats in those heads or the 041 heads I had or any of my 60's Fords or Chryslers.

Now I heard from my uncle the old timer that raced against Petty and all those old guys that you DO NOT ever let the engine Ping or detonate.
Pull timing out or add octane or just plain and simple get your foot out of it do not load it up at low rpm.

That pinging will recess the seats.
With that being told to me I made sure my tune was spot on and in order to do that I had very quiet exhaust on it.
Never had any issues with factory seats in old heads.

I loaned a guy a set of heavily ported 461 heads as his heads were cracked and he needed to get running.
I told him stick new valves in them and lap them and go and do not do anything else to them.

He took them straight to a machine shop and they put hard seats in them and valves.
Guess what happened to those heavily ported heads when he tried to start the engine.

They leaked water from the seat inserts and hydrauliced his engine.
I did not know he did that until after the fact.

The machine shop would not do a thing about it and neither did he and I was out some of the best ported heads I ever had.

Eliminated one guy that was not really my friend in the process.

Not enough meat left after porting to hold a seat well and stay out of water. That is something to think about.
Ok I understand.. so what would you do if the old seats were already shot ?
Put old style in or put the hardened ones in ?

·
Premium Member
3,909 Posts
Al, my only concerns with the heads that you bought is you may have to buy a different size pushrod since they are not sold as a direct bolt on unlike the Summit Dart heads. I would definitely check it.

·
Banned
2,671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #55 ·
Al, my only concerns with the heads that you bought is you may have to buy a different size pushrod since they are not sold as a direct bolt on unlike the Summit Dart heads. I would definitely check it.
Yep between the heads and the roller rockers it's probably gonna need longer than stock pushrods. I've got the checker

·
Premium Member
17,776 Posts
and I wouldnt bolt ANYTHING on sent assembled. I wouldve pulled the heads apart, had them decked, and them put the valves back in their respective holes with a good lapping and called it a day. $150 + lapping compound and a valve holder. AS long as the seatsd weren't junk. Then with grinding valves and seats its another $150. Sure hope you dont have " ancillary factors" with the new heads.

At least lap the new valves in. I;d bet my LAST DOLLAR you'll find more than one hole that needs cleaned up. Meaning the lap wont cut a circle all the way around at first.

I've never run hardened seats except for the inconel ones in the 074 L88 GM alloys heads I ran for a while. Likely one reason MJ doesnt like folks throwing too much timing at his engines, the valve work is done so precisely. Detonation will muck it all up.

Al, I am NOT an automotive professor! :) Yet i've learned to NEVER ASSUME. And it happens with AFR, so almost guarateeed with SW.

How lucky you feel? :)

·
Banned
2,671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #57 ·
and I wouldnt bolt ANYTHING on sent assembled. I wouldve pulled the heads apart, had them decked, and them put the valves back in their respective holes with a good lapping and called it a day. $150 + lapping compound and a valve holder. AS long as the seatsd weren't junk. Then with grinding valves and seats its another $150. Sure hope you dont have " ancillary factors" with the new heads.

At least lap the new valves in. I;d bet my LAST DOLLAR you'll find more than one hole that needs cleaned up. Meaning the lap wont cut a circle all the way around at first.

I've never run hardened seats except for the inconel ones in the 074 L88 GM alloys heads I ran for a while. Likely one reason MJ doesnt like folks throwing too much timing at his engines, the valve work is done so precisely. Detonation will muck it all up.

Al, I am NOT an automotive professor! :) Yet i've learned to NEVER ASSUME. And it happens with AFR, so almost guarateeed with SW.

How lucky you feel? :)
I wouldn't put 882 heads back on anything if they had to come off. They were scrap metal out of the factory. I wouldn't put a nickel in them heads no less 4 c notes .
As far as putting money in the 186's i had off to the side.....that i would do and am doing but that'll take 2 weeks and I wasn't waiting 2 weeks to get the truck up again.
I've bolted these same heads on another 350 with no problems . The new assembled ones I just bought.
I wasn't calling you the professor. I was callin that guy on the video a professor.
The video in 68's post

·
Premium Member
9,312 Posts
I would agree about at least lapping the valves but I didn't check the BBC Brodix RR R port CNC heads that were cut down from 119 cc to 115 cc that I bought from Mike Lewis aka Wolfplace, I figured no need to (y) :)

·
Banned
2,671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #59 ·
Yep i tried Mike too . He couldn't get heads fast enough either.
You're sayin lap the valves on the new heads?

·
Banned
2,671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #60 ·
Anybody know or have a clue as to what spec a stock bumpstick would have been in one of these lower hp mid/late 70's 350's ?

41 - 60 of 203 Posts