Team Chevelle banner
21 - 40 of 203 Posts

·
Registered
3,324 Posts
The chambers are very much like a Vortec compared to the D shape of his 186's but yes they are not Vortec's. I did post a link of the Summit Vortec head for the same price. These are Dart castings right down to the little D insignia.
With a little mild porting they would be great heads for sure.

·
Registered
3,324 Posts
Skip White Douche Baggery aside, do you really want 200cc intake runners on a low performance 350?

Can you not find something from Edelbrock or Dart?

Profilers are made in OH, FWIW. Not sure how low buck they go, though.
Well 200cc should still work, they seem to be ok on a 5.3 LS engine.

·
Banned
2,875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Skip White Douche Baggery aside, do you really want 200cc intake runners on a low performance 350?

Can you not find something from Edelbrock or Dart?

Profilers are made in OH, FWIW. Not sure how low buck they go, though.
I agree. I didn't want 200 cc .
But Its time sensitive man and I looked EVERYWHERE. Anything I could find was 2 weeks and as much as 8 weeks out.
Douche baggery aside lol thats funny 😆
Its all pretty much the same shit anyway.
Profiler skip white . Chinesium castings with whatever parts in them .
Nothin wrong with them skip white heads.
The 200 cc might be alright with that short gear and 3 speed tranny . No ??.

·
Banned
2,875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
just a thought,if it's a driver why not a set of exchange heads from a local machine shop? might even find the castings you want?
Yep i considered that man but i definitely wasn't gonna put them 882's back on there.
The 186 heads I've got had been planed and ported . They'd probably run nice on it but the money to get em right and more importantly the time frame is/was an issue

Reactions: oldguy67

·
Registered
214 Posts
Yep i considered that man but i definitely wasn't gonna put them 882's back on there.
The 186 heads I've got had been planed and ported . They'd probably run nice on it but the money to get em right and more importantly the time frame is/was an issue
I get it. Supply chain is broken at best! Darts look nice

·
Premium Member
4,281 Posts
I get it. Supply chain is broken at best! Darts look nice
Supply chain is broken, man that is the understatement of the year. I want a new Nvidia card for my PC so I can play games and get the bad guy but unless you pay at least triple you can't. I am just a big kid after all. ;)

·
Premium Member
1968 Malibu sport coupe, 489 ci. 590 hp 600 tq, RV T-400 Freakshow 3200 stall, 3.73 12 bolt posi
9,433 Posts
With the Skip White heads will he lose the port torque that a work truck needs? Its not a high rpm race car or race truck lol

·
Banned
2,875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
With the Skip White heads will he lose the port torque that a work truck needs? Its not a high rpm race car or race truck lol
I don't think so . Them 882's that were on there were probably 76 chamber and it ran pretty good with that junk on it .
These are 64. Compression is torque right ?
Plus I've got gear torque. 410
And its locked posi.
Im not sure what the dif in rpm at 70 mph is gonna be if any . That probably won't change.
Same gear same tire same tranny .
I'm about 3 grand at 70

·
Premium Member
1968 Malibu sport coupe, 489 ci. 590 hp 600 tq, RV T-400 Freakshow 3200 stall, 3.73 12 bolt posi
9,433 Posts
Thats very true about the gearing, our new Yota 4 banger has an 8 spd trans and it scoots pretty good lol

·
Banned
2,875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Just got back from the machine shop.
Guy said them 186's I've got were heavily worked. Planed and ported . He also commented that in his opinion those were about the best heads back in the day or the best ones after 68 when they started putting accessory holes in them .
$500 gets them heads brand new . New everything in them .
Id go with that cept theres no way hed have em ready before the weekend when I'm ready to put the top of the motor back together.
I'll use the new aluminum heads and a nice old higher rise bow tie intake thats collectin dust and the 7/16 studs and roller rockers and msd distributor that was on my chevelle before doing the new SB build that im doing for that car .
I'll have him fix the 186's and stick them on a 67 327 small journal thats layin on the floor .

·
Registered
5,529 Posts
DO NOT install hardened seats in those 186 heads unless the seats are trashed.
I ran 11.9 compression for 70,000 miles in 1 year with some heavily ported and milled to 54cc chambers on my 350" engine
270H cam [email protected] .050 .
Stock GM 1.94-1.50 valves and a stone valve job on the stock seats.
The heads had 100,000 miles on them and the seats were not bad..my uncle gave them to me and he did the stone 3 angle valve job.

Guides were fine.
Run em.

Those 882 heads at least the ones I measured had the largest volume runner of all the smogger era heads.
The down fall of the 882 in my book is the exhaust port in the bowl area.
It's funky with a ledge.
But really it is not all that bad for just a daily driver.
Pop the valves out and grab anything you have with a hard stone in it that you can make spin ..like a drill etc.

Blend the sharp edges in the bowls.. lap the valves.. surface them and go.

·
Premium Member
9,149 Posts
Yeah them infamous 882's that just came off wouldn't need much money but I'm not puttin a dime in that junk.lol
And yeah them 186 heads ive got are/were nice heads in the day but they need more rehab than I needed about 12 years ago 🤣

I wonder what the chambers were on them
1978 '882 boat anchors had....knowing that might give me an idea about what these aftermarket summit heads would feel like....I guess .
Plus I've got a nice old iron bow tie intake im gonna put on it
Those Summit heads are a good price at $353 each so that's almost $710 dollars right ? So for around $1050 the Brodix aluminum heads come as a pair so for 336 more you get a set of aluminum cylinder heads. You can get those heads with 64 cc chambers for a good rise in compression and in aluminum heads which are much better for detonation resistance.
Summit heads - $353 ea. x2 = $ 706 ......Brodix Heads = 1040.99 pair For a difference of 335 over the Summits
I know what my choice would be.

·
Premium Member
9,433 Posts
And for a LITTLE MORE YOU CAN........ :LOL: 🤣🤣(y) BTDT ALL my Life LOL

·
Banned
2,875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
DO NOT install hardened seats in those 186 heads unless the seats are trashed.
I ran 11.9 compression for 70,000 miles in 1 year with some heavily ported and milled to 54cc chambers on my 350" engine
270H cam [email protected] .050 .
Stock GM 1.94-1.50 valves and a stone valve job on the stock seats.
The heads had 100,000 miles on them and the seats were not bad..my uncle gave them to me and he did the stone 3 angle valve job.

Guides were fine.
Run em.

Those 882 heads at least the ones I measured had the largest volume runner of all the smogger era heads.
The down fall of the 882 in my book is the exhaust port in the bowl area.
It's funky with a ledge.
But really it is not all that bad for just a daily driver.
Pop the valves out and grab anything you have with a hard stone in it that you can make spin ..like a drill etc.

Blend the sharp edges in the bowls.. lap the valves.. surface them and go.
No kidding . Wow.
Another guy on here less than 24 hours ago told me he's been runnin heads without hardened seats for 50 years without an issue
Well today when I went over to the machine shop I ran that by this guy and he said if you're gonna pound on it (like you do he said lol) or you're gonna tow with it then you want hardened seats .
When you say DO NOT put hardened seats in them 186's are you saying in order for me not to incurr the cost of that ONE operation or are there other reasons you're saying DO NOT ?

·
Banned
2,875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
Man looking at Summit the prices have really jumped. When I bought a set of AFRs I thought they were expensive.

btw Summit has a bunch of options in stock that would ship today or within a week..
No shit . I couldn't find any

21 - 40 of 203 Posts