Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 158 Posts

·
Registered
2,358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's the situation.
89 chevy k2500 daily driver /work vehicle.
Mid/late 70's 350 with original 400 tranny and original 410 rear-end 14 bolt corporate axel

Truck overheated on the highway few days ago . Engine started pinging and I smelled coolant so I pulled it over and shut it down.
Got it back to the garage and saw coolant coming out of the front of the right side head .
Never knew what the heads were or much about the motor because it came in a car that I bought 12 years ago and got pulled out and replaced with a BB.
The motor sat for over a decade up until 8 months ago when I put it in the truck because old motor blew .

Anyway...took the heads off and sure enough blown head gasket and sure enough its got the boat anchor 882's on it .

I don't want to put those heads back on the motor.
I've got 2 sets of old heads here and one set or the other are gettin checked and put on the motor.

Suggestions on which heads to use would be appreciated.
Here they are
Or

·
Registered
2,358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Just looked them both up and it's kind of a no-brainer now lol
Whatever...if someone has input about using the 186's that would be great too

·
Premium Member
3,679 Posts
I bought these for my wife’s 71 Camaro SS on sale. I figure for $313 each delivered why not. Well they looked great and yes they are Dart heads. Unfortunately I lost the cam at fire up and had to take the engine down. Going with a roller cam so I had to change the spring. Troubleshooting the cam issue I did a compression test and they were all at 160 psi except for the cylinder that was down because of the cam lobe.Take a look at the reviews. For the price you will be hard pressed to find a better head imo

·
Registered
2,358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I bought these for my wife’s 71 Camaro SS on sale. I figure for $313 each delivered why not. Well they looked great and yes they are Dart heads. Unfortunately I lost the cam at fire up and had to take the engine down. Going with a roller cam so I had to change the spring. Troubleshooting the cam issue I did a compression test and they were all at 160 psi except for the cylinder that was down because of the cam lobe.Take a look at the reviews. For the price you will be hard pressed to find a better head imo
They're Dart heads ?
Yeah I'm not sure what it'll cost to resurrect these 186's I've got here .
Pretty rough . Rust on valves etc ,,
.i see these heads are 72 chamber rectangle port 2.02 valve.
Be less compression than this 186 I've got here but then again maybe I don't need it in this particular application.
Its a truck and its got 410 gear .
What you think ??

·
Registered
2,358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I think the 186s are 64 cc chamber, that alone will give you a good power jump.
Yeah I know but I'm not sure how much dough I'd have to put into these heads .
That's the only thing.
I'll find out tomorrow though

·
Premium Member
3,679 Posts
They're Dart heads ?
Yeah I'm not sure what it'll cost to resurrect these 186's I've got here .
Pretty rough . Rust on valves etc ,,
.i see these heads are 72 chamber rectangle port 2.02 valve.
Be less compression than this 186 I've got here but then again maybe I don't need it in this particular application.
Its a truck and its got 410 gear .
What you think ??
Being 72 cc heads wasn’t a issue since my 71 heads were 76 cc. Then again many say that the valves not being as shrouded makes more power. I am not sure of that. I do know these do outflow the 186. Yes they are dart heads and the casting are well done but I am not sure if all the components in them are at the same quality. I did ask how they looked and the quality of the seals and the machinist said they look decent and the seals are quality. My original heads were certainly rebuildable but the cost would exceed the cost and would not perform as well having smaller 1.94 valves and old style 76cc chamber. What can I say they do have great reviews but if you have 64cc now you will lose compression but even then many said they still performed better but remember we don’t know the shape of the heads taken off. My heads should be back together this week with the new springs and I will know more then. We also have to remember I will be getting a machinist opinion that will be losing money because I bought these versing doing a valve job. They also make these as a Vortex head and those do have 64cc for a few extra bucks but you would need new valve covers and intake.

Bill

·
Premium Member
1968 Malibu sport coupe, 489 ci. 590 hp 600 tq, RV T-400 Freakshow 3200 stall, 3.73 12 bolt posi
9,105 Posts
IMHO it's easy to spend too much money on old heads unless they're a factory perf. head just replace them with the new heads Bill posted or if you can find a good set of 305 heads that need little to no work done but being it's your work truck I'd think it can't be down long, we all know to well it can take a while looking around for good used parts

·
Registered
2,358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah them infamous 882's that just came off wouldn't need much money but I'm not puttin a dime in that junk.lol
And yeah them 186 heads ive got are/were nice heads in the day but they need more rehab than I needed about 12 years ago 🤣

I wonder what the chambers were on them
1978 '882 boat anchors had....knowing that might give me an idea about what these aftermarket summit heads would feel like....I guess .
Plus I've got a nice old iron bow tie intake im gonna put on it

·
Registered
2,358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Anybody know anything about these ?
Are these the vortec ones you were talking about bill ?

·
Registered
2,358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well forget those...shipping date 1/11

·
Premium Member
3,679 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,679 Posts

·
Registered
2,358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yeah I searched high and low like waldo lol
Can't find ANY aftermarket head that I wouldn't be waitin atleast 10 days for .
I got these that'll be at my doorstep on this Thursday for under a g note
I know most of you guys on here don't like these guys too much but they're deliverin what I need and when I need it today

·
Premium Member
3,679 Posts
Yeah I searched high and low like waldo lol
Can't find ANY aftermarket head that I wouldn't be waitin atleast 10 days for .
I got these that'll be at my doorstep on this Thursday for under a g note
I know most of you guys on here don't like these guys too much but they're deliverin what I need and when I need it today

Why the rush, daily driver. I looked at those but really didn't want to put aluminum heads on her car. Not that they are bad however I would like to see customer reviews and not their comments.Anyway good luck, I am sure they will be just fine.

·
Premium Member
3,799 Posts
Skip White Douche Baggery aside, do you really want 200cc intake runners on a low performance 350?

Can you not find something from Edelbrock or Dart?

Profilers are made in OH, FWIW. Not sure how low buck they go, though.

Reactions: 68Chevele

·
Premium Member
3,679 Posts
Skip White Douche Baggery aside, do you really want 200cc intake runners on a low performance 350?

Can you not find something from Edelbrock or Dart?

Profilers are made in OH, FWIW. Not sure how low buck they go, though.
That was my concern as well and wanted to stay around 170 runners. Especially with a truck and torque loss at low speeds but this is Al's daily work truck and needed it quickly. . All I know I got mine delivered to my house for $626 and there was no way I could do mine for that. Pretty sure the valve job on my L79 was over $1200, guides, hardened seats and new valves adds up quickly

·
Registered
3,096 Posts
Here is a pic of the valve side. Personally I think they are a bargain.
View attachment 720362
While the Summit heads do look pretty good they are different, for one the chamber is different than a GM Vortec head and the intake port opening is also different.

·
Premium Member
3,799 Posts
I think Summit offers something like this head in both a Vortec and a standard pattern.....but I could be wrong.

·
Premium Member
3,679 Posts
While the Summit heads do look pretty good they are different, for one the chamber is different than a GM Vortec head and the intake port opening is also different.
The chambers are very much like a Vortec compared to the D shape of his 186's but yes they are not Vortec's. I did post a link of the Summit Vortec head for the same price. These are Dart castings right down to the little D insignia.

1 - 20 of 158 Posts