Team Chevelle banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
5,406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was driving to pick up the wife from work and saw it sitting out on the show corner at a big used car lot in town. They occasionally have a muscle car out there on consignment! Red with black! Cool car! Went back by with the camera but it was gone!:(

·
Premium Member
7,984 Posts
I would have loved to have seen some pictures. Did you stop in and ask about the car?

·
Premium Member
5,632 Posts
there was an auction recently where they had one of two original convertable 70 monte. it had a whole story on where it was sent, and that the g.m. management couldn't figure a way to make the car cheap enough to release to the public. it was an interesting looking ride. if i can find the story i'll pass along info....

·
Registered
13,007 Posts
One of my friends in town has one as well, made from Chevelle parts.

·
Registered
20,389 Posts
I've got a picture around here somewhere of one I saw at a Tunica car show. Seems to be a popular conversion.

·
Premium Member
452 Posts
Where did you see it? I've seen one around St Louis that was red. It looked like they did a nice job on the conversion, when I saw it. It looked stock.

·
Registered
18,901 Posts
there was an auction recently where they had one of two original convertable 70 monte. it had a whole story on where it was sent, and that the g.m. management couldn't figure a way to make the car cheap enough to release to the public. it was an interesting looking ride. if i can find the story i'll pass along info....
sounds like that car had an urban myth as a back story to pump up the value.
why would it be any more expensive for GM to build a Monte convert than a Chevelle convert? all the special parts- from the roof pilars to the bracing where the convertible hardware bolted up to the roof itself- would be the same. granted, the Monte was a bit more spendy than a similarly equipped Chevelle, but they could have built Monte convertibles that were priced in the range of the cheaper Caddies, and marketed them as such.
i think they looked at the demographics, and came to the conclusion that there wouldn't be too many Monte Carlo buyers that would want a convertible.

·
Premium Member
1,698 Posts
Where did you see the car? I know Joe, the owner of
"the parts place" has a 70 Monte convertible with an LS6 in it. Elburn, IL.

·
Premium Member
5,632 Posts
sounds like that car had an urban myth as a back story to pump up the value.
why would it be any more expensive for GM to build a Monte convert than a Chevelle convert? all the special parts- from the roof pilars to the bracing where the convertible hardware bolted up to the roof itself- would be the same. granted, the Monte was a bit more spendy than a similarly equipped Chevelle, but they could have built Monte convertibles that were priced in the range of the cheaper Caddies, and marketed them as such.
i think they looked at the demographics, and came to the conclusion that there wouldn't be too many Monte Carlo buyers that would want a convertible.
my understanding wasn't so much the parts, but that they couln't build it on the same line as the other monte's, or that it would disrupt other assembly lines of better selling models, so yes, i think demographics and budgetary issues supposedly killed the car.

and i have to say, anybody who says that a certain car wasn't ever built by a certain maker, in these days is maybe a little niave. there was a few years back, a shelby mustang with fuel injection found, it was never made. those engineers hid all kinds of stuff. look how many cars that were supposed to be destroyed that were holed away somewhere till somebody found them years later. how many g.m. employees ordered something with a wink?

at this point i have nothing to back up the monte story, but really, is it that far fetched compared to some of the things that have been dug up over the past decade? hell, there are cars out there with jets engines attached to the rear axle. the story i read on the monte, was that they were done off site, so g.m. made? maybe not. g.m. sanctioned? probably. it was probably cheaper to have two cars done off site, than spend millions to create a drop top, that would lose $ in the long run. and maybe people forgot in the 80's very few makers had drop tops, and those that were available, a lot were made off site, od delivered to the dealer who sent them out to be modified into a drop top.

i have a story, my father once bought a fairmont wagon from a guy who retired from ford. the wagon wasn't anything special, but at one point i ended up with it, and when i started to have to do repairs, it became quite the nightmare. first it had a straigt six in it, this was at a time that ford used v6's for almost everything, it had 4 wheel disc. brakes, it had the widest radiator i'd ever seen, a four barrel carb. and there was all kinds of other wierd stuff. it got to the point where i got tired of hearing that they never made this or that, so i'd just take the part to be replaced with me, so they could match it up.

never a drop top monte? maybe. never an ls6 monte? who knows what a hung over line worker might have dropped in there. anybody ever hear of the buick gs's that were supposed to be vynl topped, only to leave the factory with white painted roofs? i hear there are 12 of them, i've personally seen two.

·
Registered
5,406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Last year at the car craft nat'ls in st paul MN. I saw one also. Must be a kit you can buy. To make them into a convert. Because G.M. never made one
I believe they were farmed out to an outside company to make. I vaguely remember reading something about it in a magizine once. Maybe another myth??? I don't know.:confused:

·
Registered
3,582 Posts
I totally believe that there were a few of every kind of car back then sent through with odd ball stuff. Sure, we don't have the information to prove that they never existed, but we don't have the information to disprove it either.

·
Registered
5,406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I totally believe that there were a few of every kind of car back then sent through with odd ball stuff. Sure, we don't have the information to prove that they never existed, but we don't have the information to disprove it either.
Yeah, but the guys with the big money cars will not believe anything out of the ordinary that was not documented somewhere official. I went through that back when I first joined and mentioned my 1969 Malibu big block 4 speed car. It was a factory orderd car and at the time I owned it I was 2nd owner and had all the documentation showing it was what it was. Unfortunatly I was a nice guy and gave it all to the kid I sold it to back in the late 70's.
But because it says somewhere in someones literature that you could not get that combination, well you know the kind of arguement it started.
Not worth the time to argue it. I know what I had and if someone decides that it couldn't be true so be it!:thumbsup:

·
Registered
963 Posts
That was a BS story (there have been tons of rummored convert Montes along with LS6 Montes), there were not one GM line built convertible Monte Carlo. There was a prototype that never saw the light of day. It would not have cost anymore for a Monte convertible cause it would have used the same top pieces as the Chevelle. After all a Monte is just a reskinned Chevelle 2dr body set back on a wagon frame. I don't know why GM never did the drop top Monte Carlo maybe it was that at the time there were grumblings about convertibles being more dangerous so the writing was on the wall for the convertibles.

If you find the rummored Drop Top Monte or a 1970 LS6 SS454 Monte pay what ever you can for it cause it is one of none.

·
Premium Member
13,093 Posts
I'm not saying you're wrong but they built Impala Convertibles till 1976 I believe and the Monte was a more sporty car than an Impala, especially the Impalas from the 70's.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts