Team Chevelle banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to replace my finshline III hvlp & am thinking of the Sata 3000, but not sure what the difference between the hvlp & rp are???
I would be using it for single stage base,bc/cc & clears.
Both guns are the same $$, not sure which to get??
Thanks

·
Banned
4,650 Posts
I bought an Iwata but looked to Crazy Canuck for Sata advice. I trust him. I spray bikes for coin and needed professional advice.
Quoting Crazy Canuck. "The rp stands for reduced pressure,it is a compliant gun that handles like a conventional spray gun.It has better atomization and speed than the hvlp but use a little more paint.If you are looking for a gun to lay on the clear real smooth this is the gun,I use a sata 3000 rp with a 1.4 for clear.
The hvlp stands for high volume low pressure,these guns don't atomize as well as the rp but it will save on materials.I use a 3000 hvlp with a 1.4HC tip for my base coat only.We just switched to sikkens autowave waterborne base coat and this gun works great.
[these guns are not the same]."

·
Registered
748 Posts
excellent guns might i say as i use them everyday, but if you can only afford one get the hvlp because you can spray base and clear the rp you can spray clear and solid colors but its just a reduced pressure ( i.e - rp ) gun not hvlp but you can lay clear on like glass and twice as fast

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks for the input!!!
Sounds like the rp lays down a smoother finish, but not good for metallic paints?

What tip size would be best for the single stage & BC/CC??
The finishline laid down ok, but needed 1500 & a buff to look nice when using single stage urethane.

Thanks again!!!!!!!!!

·
Banned
4,650 Posts
Crazy Canuck: " use a first gen sata rp with a 1.4 for sealer,single stage,sometimes clear.Sata 3000 hvlp for waterborne base coat,sata 3000 rp with a 1.4 just for clear coat,nice improvement over the older rp. I also use a devilbiss plus once in awhile. I have been painting for 23 years,the time sure has gone by fast."

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Thanks for the kind words Scott,my head is swelling. If you are spraying completes all day then I would use a 1.4. If you are doing 2-3 panel crash painting then a 1.3 is fine.The rp will handle base coat metallics beautifully.I hate hvlp but I only use it for waterborne base.If you are on a budget I would get the devilbiss plus,it is a compliant gun(not hvlp) and it comes with 3 tips for under $300,best spray gun on the market for the price.If you are only painting a few cars a year a $600 sata is hard to justify,the only reason I have sata guns is I paint everyday.My satajet 90 is 19 years old and still looks and sprays like new,that is a great example of how long these guns will last.

·
Registered
413 Posts
I've got a Devilbiss Plus and love it. Great gun for the money. Comes with 3 tips and you can see what works best for you and the material you're using. I use it for prime, base and clear. No problems.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I had thought that the jobber was going to warranty my finishline due to it's sputtering, but they claim it should of had a filter in it between the cup & gun, which it didn't come w/, so they put a filter in it & I will give it a try this weekend.
I had hopes of getting out of the finishline & move over to the Sata, but it's on hold for now

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Tell your jobber he is a retard,the reason that the gun is sputtering is that it has an air leak.Put some thinner in the cup,take the lid off,hook up to an air line and pull the trigger with low psi(put on safety glasses)and see if there are air bubbles coming from the bottom of the pot when you pull the trigger.No pro in the world uses those stupid filters,I have seen more problems caused by those things.Check for a loose fluid tip or a worn baffle gasket.

Phone devilbiss customer service and they will help you out,number is on there website.

·
Banned
4,650 Posts
Tell your jobber he is a retard,the reason that the gun is sputtering is that it has an air leak.Put some thinner in the cup,take the lid off,hook up to an air line and pull the trigger with low psi(put on safety glasses)and see if there are air bubbles coming from the bottom of the pot when you pull the trigger.No pro in the world uses those stupid filters,I have seen more problems caused by those things.Check for a loose fluid tip or a worn baffle gasket.

Phone devilbiss customer service and they will help you out,number is on there website.
Crazy Canuck- I will try that. I hoping to paint tonight.

Thanks for the heads up!!!
A lot of counter guys have never shot anything in their life. I can't believe he told you to put filters in it. Those filters are a marketing ploy. Do what C.C. said and yes, that jobber needs to find another occupation. I must have said it a million times; clean your gun and check all machined mating surfaces.

·
Registered
242 Posts
I have two SATA RP guns and never use anything else anymore! I love the way they shoot. I shoot clear, single stage and lacquer with the 1.4 tip, and love the way it lays down. No problem with metallics at all! Never did find a HVLP gun that I liked using, but the RP gun had almost no learning curve. I used conventional high pressure guns for years, and I am sure that that had a lot to do with it.

Regards, John McGraw

1 - 14 of 14 Posts