Team Chevelle banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3,438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, no 9's. But I decide to do a few quick susp. changes yesterday before going to the track.....(when I should of been home swapping converters back out)

So, If you recall I had lowered the front of the upper control arm mounts, last year. Which seemed to help but I made a tire size change at the same time......
This spring I changed front springs, lowered the rear some more, etc. etc.

So 1st off, I take out the moroso springs, put back in the moog 6cyl springs I was using last fall. Car now sits about 1.5-2" higher. I get about 5" of front travel. The springs will probably settle a little after a couple days tough.
This I had to do, because the moroso's were just too low.
They were sbc springs though.

I put the rear upper control arms back to stock location. Stuck a degree finder on the lowers, they are at 0*. That is how much the car has been dropped in the rear.

I reset the Hrparts bar with some weight in the drivers seat. 2 BBC heads and a pail of 12 bolt parts. About 200#'s. Still a few short of myself but close enuf :p

Reset the pinon angle and here we go off to the races.

Now that I have just completely reset the whole susp. Front and rear, I am thinking good god what did I do. But, I was sick of the headers scraping away......not much left of that tube :mad:

Oh yea, I drained out the E10 and found some 100% 93 octane, if it even really is.......There are not many stations left that show no ethanol.

Ok enuf rambling :cool:

1st pass, DA2455 calculated, no I didn't buy a weather meter. But my last outings were all around 1000DA. 2600ish rpm foot brake

1.368 :hurray:

2nd pass, tried a mild 3600rpm t-brake launch. Didn't like that.
DA2000

3rd pass back to footbraking 2600 rpm or so.
DA1995
1.365 :hurray: :D
130.753 Son of a......10.086 a 10.09 dial in. and I had a better light. Damnit.
I had him covered and should wacked the brakes but,.....it coulda been that 9 sec pass :)

Too bad the weather wasn't a little better :yes:
But the short times improved. That is a good thing.
It didn't respond well to the brake.
15 psi cold in the Hoosiers.

I talked to Charlie @ ATI friday.
After asking me several questions and I told him about the results of each converter, he says......
Your car runs excellent especially for a pump gas engine.....Wow, this thing is making around 750hp.... Based on your numbers, your edge converter is locking up tight and your overpowering the 8" up top.
I think we need to build you a 8" converter that will launch in the 1.3's and lock up on the big end. I assume your looking to squeeze into the nines. I think we can do that with a tight 8" converter. Something like what Bigley is running, Todd's is a little looser than I would like in your car. But your car runs dang good as it is. Just remember no transbrake and no nitrous unless we upgrade the converter but that will add about 7#'s.
So if anything I felt good about the car after talking with him.
If I decide to chase that last tenth with a converter, It will be an ATI.
But for now, I think I will see how the edge works again with the susp. changes.....Maybe the 60ft will still be better with the edge converter too.
That's what I am hoping right now anyway. If not, this test defineately shows that the car likes more converter as far as the first half of the track.
And was a good learning experience. It was a test, and all it cost me was some labor/time. Can't beat that IMO :thumbsup:

Brian

·
Registered
11,934 Posts
It sounds like you are on the right track. Converters are a magical thing, they either get the car from A to B or they work great and the only thing to do is experiment. Like was said in an earlier post, my friend has a stock eliminator car and he would go to the track with 2 or 3 converters. It was the worst track days ever but he would change them right there in the dirt. It eventually paid off because he did hold the H/SA record for a couple of years and now he runs right at the record consistantly. But don't worry, the power is there, just keep plugging at it and it will come.

·
Registered
6,264 Posts
Hey Brian, Go to Performance Distributors and check out the "Mini-VIP" ignition booster. I really think that increasing the primary ignition voltage could net you six to eight hundreths and maybe 1-2 mph.

·
Registered
3,438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hmm, interesting....
here is the link, there was a space in it.
http://www.performancedistributors.com/minivip.htm

I bet it would be worth a shot.....there are just so many things that could net some more power and without being able to back to back test it is difficult.
I need to get back to Union Grove because they have open racing days and you can get in many passes. A jet change could be the majic thing, or 1 or 2* of timing. Or a # of air pressure. Collector ext. with a jet change. A dominator intake a carb. A 8" ATI converter. A little more gear. Etc. etc.

I bet there's at least .3 left in my car with no internal engine mods and no weight reduction. Just a matter of tuning.
There's also the fuel thing.....I bet some of that VP fuels tuned correctly surely would help. It becomes a sacrifice of street and race. And how much money do you spend chasing those last bits.

I am still trying to hook this thing on my junk shocks.....1.36's aint too shabby but I bet there's some more there with some good shocks.

It may even run faster with some good exhaust.

So many things to try and only so much time.
I can see why being able to log weather data at this level is so important, when your splitting seconds into hundreth's and even thousanths. Trying to make an evaluation of a change.

At least I can say it runs in the 9's corrected :D

·
Banned
10,053 Posts
Well, no 9's. But I decide to do a few quick susp. changes yesterday before going to the track.....(when I should of been home swapping converters back out)

So, If you recall I had lowered the front of the upper control arm mounts, last year. Which seemed to help but I made a tire size change at the same time......
This spring I changed front springs, lowered the rear some more, etc. etc.

So 1st off, I take out the moroso springs, put back in the moog 6cyl springs I was using last fall. Car now sits about 1.5-2" higher. I get about 5" of front travel. The springs will probably settle a little after a couple days tough.
This I had to do, because the moroso's were just too low.
They were sbc springs though.

I put the rear upper control arms back to stock location. Stuck a degree finder on the lowers, they are at 0*. That is how much the car has been dropped in the rear.

I reset the Hrparts bar with some weight in the drivers seat. 2 BBC heads and a pail of 12 bolt parts. About 200#'s. Still a few short of myself but close enuf :p

Reset the pinon angle and here we go off to the races.

Now that I have just completely reset the whole susp. Front and rear, I am thinking good god what did I do. But, I was sick of the headers scraping away......not much left of that tube :mad:

Oh yea, I drained out the E10 and found some 100% 93 octane, if it even really is.......There are not many stations left that show no ethanol.

Ok enuf rambling :cool:

1st pass, DA2455 calculated, no I didn't buy a weather meter. But my last outings were all around 1000DA. 2600ish rpm foot brake

1.368 :hurray:

2nd pass, tried a mild 3600rpm t-brake launch. Didn't like that.
DA2000

3rd pass back to footbraking 2600 rpm or so.
DA1995
1.365 :hurray: :D
130.753 Son of a......10.086 a 10.09 dial in. and I had a better light. Damnit.
I had him covered and should wacked the brakes but,.....it coulda been that 9 sec pass :)

Too bad the weather wasn't a little better :yes:
But the short times improved. That is a good thing.
It didn't respond well to the brake.
15 psi cold in the Hoosiers.

I talked to Charlie @ ATI friday.
After asking me several questions and I told him about the results of each converter, he says......

So if anything I felt good about the car after talking with him.
If I decide to chase that last tenth with a converter, It will be an ATI.
But for now, I think I will see how the edge works again with the susp. changes.....Maybe the 60ft will still be better with the edge converter too.
That's what I am hoping right now anyway. If not, this test defineately shows that the car likes more converter as far as the first half of the track.
And was a good learning experience. It was a test, and all it cost me was some labor/time. Can't beat that IMO :thumbsup:

Brian
ATI makes a good converter, keep your dealings with Charlie if at all possible

·
Team Member , Vegas TC Ambassador
3,349 Posts
Went lowrider did you? Low in the back, high in the front:D

My car doesn't seem to respond to racing fuel. The local 91 octane falls a little short of optimal. My best times came after mixing in a few gallons of 100.

·
Registered
3,438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Went lowrider did you? Low in the back, high in the front:D

My car doesn't seem to respond to racing fuel. The local 91 octane falls a little short of optimal. My best times came after mixing in a few gallons of 100.
:thumbsup:

I question that myself with only 10.5:1 comp and my cam size, I don't know if any more octane would help....but the oxyegnated stuff may or may not.

Sorry to hear about your trans again.
For something that is not being abused with slicks out back, I am surprised at the troubles it is giving you.

·
Registered
6,264 Posts
I'd bet Mark (Mike 1231) is dead on right about the VP C-44 being the best overall fuel for these 10.5-1 compression engines making maximun power. The rep who answers all the questions for VP could tell you for sure.

·
Team Member , Vegas TC Ambassador
3,349 Posts
I'm starting to think the Chevelle is just a jealous bitch. Ain't happy unless I'm on, under or in her. Doing her best to monopolize my time and/or, keep me dirty, unpresentable to other suitors.

Nah, I'm pretty sure the Chevelles bi, always been one of my best allies in entertaining bimbos. Must be that the transmission is cursed.

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
It`s really 60'ing well ! :thumbsup:
Too bad it`s not carrying it on over throughout the rest of the run though.
Any idea why you`re down on MPH considering you ran 134+ before ? Just curious.

·
Registered
6,264 Posts
The weather is much warmer now than when he ran the 134 mph, it's no mystery to me. When you state a best you must remember that it's real easy to loose several tenths from changes in the air temperature, humidity and barometric pressure. It's real easy to feel the temp and humidity but the barometer can vary a lot and not feel any different.

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
The weather is much warmer now than when he ran the 134 mph, it's no mystery to me. When you state a best you must remember that it's real easy to loose several tenths from changes in the air temperature, humidity and barometric pressure. It's real easy to feel the temp and humidity but the barometer can vary a lot and not feel any different.
I`m aware of how weather can affect performance. What I didn`t realise was, that it was already getting hot way up there in Wisconsin.
I thought it would be near perfect this time of year..my bad.

Excellent performance nontheless. there`s a 9 sec time slip waiting for him no doubt.

·
Registered
3,438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The mph is down due to the inefficiency of the 8" trial converter.
I bet it will be back up next outing with the switch back to my 9.5" converter. But the 60's will suffer. This is the reason the ET's have remained the same between the two.

·
Registered
3,438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

·
Premium Member
13,692 Posts
Congrats on the new bests!!! So you took travel away from the front end and it 60ft'd better?

D/A down here was 3800-4000ft this weekend, 60fts dropped to 1.37-1.39, e.t. slowed a tenth from 2 weeks ago, was still gettin the front in the air just not carrying them as far.

·
Registered
3,438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Congrats on the new bests!!! So you took travel away from the front end and it 60ft'd better?

D/A down here was 3800-4000ft this weekend, 60fts dropped to 1.37-1.39, e.t. slowed a tenth from 2 weeks ago, was still gettin the front in the air just not carrying them as far.
Yes, took travel away but at the same time changed rear suspension a little too. I thought it maybe was a misprint somehow because it didn't feel like anyhting special. Then I got another one .003 quicker.

·
Registered
2,154 Posts

·
Registered
3,438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Ok, now it makes sense ! so it`s not weather related after all.
I`d be wanting that other converter back in it too. Maybe they can tweek it a bit for you.

Curiously, though, what was the weather like when you ran ?
All 3 outings, 1 last fall and 2 this spring at 2 different tracks the DA as about 1000 and the car ran 10.0x's @ 134 with the 9.5".

1st outing with 8" converter DA was 1000 and ran 10.05 @ 131

2nd outing with 8" converter, and susp changes DA was 2000 and ran 10.08 @ 131.

These are not actual DA's measured at the track but should be a pretty good comparison for the most part, based on weather history.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts