Team Chevelle banner

41 - 43 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
1,867 Posts
My brother in law fell into this 2 years ago. 1965 2+2 Mustang that had been stored for 40 years. I looked at it after. Didn't look good. He called another body guy to come look at it. This guy does it at home because he likes to. Hauled the car out the next day. After 1 year of removing all the sheet metal screws, rivits and bondo he had to replace almost every body part except the firewall, roof and floors. The guy did all body work, repaint interior, replace interior, replace engine and trans, converted front to disc, vintage air, led lights. etc. Cost was another $15000 labor.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I've been in this biz four decades and a fully welded sailpanel filled with short strand and finished with body filler has never failed.
Why do non pros post advice if they are not qualified? The pros I know don't post here anymore because the novices think they know
Raven 1 is right on. I have been a bodyman for over 50 years and have NEVER seen new or used body panels that have not needed massaged and leveled with a skin of bondo or if your a real good bodyman LEAD. I spotweld and solid weld all my seams and lead them. There are very few bodyman who lead anymore.
If the owner provides the parts I will put them in. Most bodyman who do side work charge 50.00 an hour or more. The poster did not say what was included in the 19 grand he was paying and a lot I bet is left out.

41 - 43 of 43 Posts