Chevelles.com banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
18,161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The inner fenders on my 66 are in good shape but need to be sandblasted so i can detail them. The wheelwell side has undercoating on them that is hard to blast off. I am going to pay a shop to do this and I am wondering if I should bother having the undercoating side blasted. Should I have the whole parts completely sandblasted or just the engine compartment side? What should I use for undercoating after all is said and done? I do have POR-15 left from the chassis i painted, is that OK for the wheelwell?

Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Blasting wouldn't touch the undercoating on my wells either. I ended up using a heat gun and a gasket scraper to remove all the coating. I will be painting mine with POR also.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Mine were the same way. I left on what wouldn't come off and went over them on the wheel side with the undercoat spray and painted the other side. If the sandblaster wouldn't take it off it's on pretty good. I fill POR-15 is to shinny for the inner fenders. I did mine flat/satin black.

·
Registered
337 Posts
I spayed mine with POR15 chassis coat black.
It matches the same semigloss black that the factory used. I also used it on the firewall
floors & frame. It's good stuff.
If you use the chassis coat black, make sure you use regular POR15 first then go over it with the black. It's made to go over a painted surface.
Jeff

[This message has been edited by JSL (edited 03-23-99).]

·
Registered
258 Posts
I did what Rick did. Its too hard to take off. Besides, its supposed to be there. I scaped some of it off. I then realized I was doing more harm than good. Just wash it really good and spray over it with paint or new undercoating.

Be careful with sandblasting! My friend did this on his Pontiac wells. They ended up deeply pitted and hard to paint. Have them bead blasted or use air craft stipper.

------------------
Jameel Qazi
#'s 67 SS

[This message has been edited by jaqazi (edited 03-23-99).]

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.