Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm debating about buying a blast cabinet or a sand blast outfit. The guys at harbour freight and northern are clueless. I was thinking about getting a regular sand blaster and building a cabinet with a vac and light. Any ideas?

------------------
The ongoing saga of the MALIBRUISER 70 SS fake
MALIBRUISER

·
Registered
32 Posts
i have both and both work very well...however, i decided to get the cabinet afer my garage and car got covered with the media.

if you are just blasting small parts, then i say get one of their small or mid sized cabinets, if you are planning on doing larger parts it will be alot cheaper to build your own cabinet.

harbor freight also carries glass bead and aluminum oxide media. also you might want to check out the sifter screen that Eastwood carries to remove debris from your media...so you can re-use it.

------------------
69 Chevelle Malibu
My Chevelle

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
How about suction vs. pressure? Northern has a plastic suction unit for about $100.

·
Gold Founding Member
1970 Chevelle Convertible & 1965 Chevelle SS Convertible
1,284 Posts
Just a word of advice on the cabinets - I purchased a bench top, around $160.00. It was a top loader, light inside, plastic window and a foam vent for a vacuum to hook up to.

The light went out within a week, the suction foam contraption was useless, the plastic window fogged and scratched so bad you couldn’t see and media was coming out of the poor door seal and everywhere there was a hole.

I have since fabricated my own exhaust filter with replaceable lawn mower air filters, replaced the plastic with tempered glass, used a different type of foam to seal the door and sealed all the holes and areas where media was escaping. Also bought an external light, now it works well.

I have learned here you get what you pay for.

I have seen the Tip Tool units in person; these are worth the money - good quality stuff. My next resto I intend to splurge and purchase one of those. Check out their web page and get a catalog. I think the prices on their bench top units have come down and aren't bad, you won’t be disappointed.

Hope this helps.

Rich

------------------
70 SS - L34
Member # 442 (Gold member)
ACES # 3480
http://www.my70ss.com
http://www.chevelles.com/feature/august2001.html]

·
Registered
61 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by hoffman7476:
How about suction vs. pressure?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
I have a Sears siphon fed & a small pressure type I got from Harbor Freight & there's no comparison. The pressurized one was cheap & I figured it would be junk but it really works quite well, much better than the siphon fed one.

You need a good compressor with either but it seems like the pressure fed one uses less air and sand. I blasted the whole inside of my El Camino bed & it gave my worthless "oil-free" type compressor a workout but I wouldn't even have attempted it with the siphon fed one. That thing is slow & you have to get real close with the nozzle.

I'm going to build a cabinet. I find myself needing to blast small stuff all the time but don't because of the mess it makes.

Good luck, Pete

[This message has been edited by ps70elk (edited 01-21-2002).]

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Dont waste your money on cheap blasters. I used one in my auto shop for 30 years and the unit had double window with a vacuum-bag system to filter the material. USE 60 grit sand for cleaning parts-works great and cost little.

·
Registered
63 Posts
If you have the money, than by all means go with a pressure blaster. Siphon blasters are ok for SURFACE rust, small parts, and if you aren't in a hurry. It took me over 2 hours to blast the inner wheelhouse on my '68 with a siphon. I blasted the other wheelhouse today with my new APC 90 lb. pressure blaster(from northern tool), & it took 2 minutes.

·
Registered
361 Posts
I agree with a couple of the other posts. Better quality here is money well spent. The amount of time you'll save is incredible. Another bit of advice, try to decide what the largest item you may need to blast, and purchase a cabinet large enough to do the job. I wasted a lot of time and money on cheap or thrown together blasting equipment, and would do it differently if I started another project today.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the info. Looks like I'll go with a decent pressure unit. I have a 60 gal. two stage compressor so I should have it covered.

------------------
The ongoing saga of the MALIBRUISER 70 SS fake
MALIBRUISER

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.