Chevelles.com banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,275 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Maybe someone can send me in a different place
to look.At 1st I had a 454 in the car[a year ago]
I now run a 502.When I 1st got the car it had a miss[cutting out]at 2000 rpms thru4000 rpms.So I
bought a new msd ready to run dist and went thru all the egnition and check all the wires.Even called M.S.D hot line double checking everything
Replaced the msd box,coil,wires,two step and the
timing retard control[still cut out]Last year went to a new 502 and as soon as it fired I had that same damn miss.At the same rpms.Called msd
hot again double checking my work.All is correct
Then it seemed to stop doing it.It's doing it again.Today I double checked all my wires and everthing is good and correct.I read in the msd
book I have which said to check the volts at the red wire coming off the box which I did which said
it should be at 12 volts which it was.Checked at
batt which was between 12-13 volts.I checked every
place possible for volts and everthing reads between [email protected] volts.The alt read 14 volts.Keep
in mind everything on this car has been replaced at least twice.Batt,starter,msd box,coil,dist.The
only thing that keeps bugging me is this.I had a shop do away with the old regulator and went with
the new type alt[built in regulator]He has one wire coming off the batt post on the back alt
going to the number two plug in on the alt and a
wire off the batt post on the alt running back
to the batt which is in the trunk.The car still
had this miss before we made these changes.To me
the car acts like it has a resistor in it some where but it has a new wire ran for the ignition.
Just sitting in the car in park between [email protected]
it has a flutter sound to it and a miss.I also
checked every fuse coming from the fuse box for volts which all were 12-13 volts.The old regulator
is not used at all.Anybody???

·
Registered
168 Posts
The only thing that comes to mind is that you say you are getting 12-13 volts to the box, but are you getting that power away from it too? I would double check that the ground wire is good and solid, that it is not installed over a painted surface or anything like that.

If you put one terminal of your volt meter on the box's ground terminal and the other to the (-) post on the battery, you should see very nearly zero volts. If it shows voltage, you have a resistance along the ground path somewhere.

·
Premium Member
3,275 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Im getting the same 12-13 volts everywhere I check
This past fall I even ran a cable from the ground
side of the batt up to the msd ground.I have it
hooked up to a thru panel connector.Im sure I have a solid ground.I tried unhooking one thing
at a time with the car running,such as tach,
shift-lite,two step and so on.I heard strange
things like this can happen!It has plenty of
volts everywhere but still acts like it's in the
ignition system somewhere?Last year I was thinking it was in the motor but after putting
in the brand new 502 I have the same problem?
A lot of pretty damn good car guys have looked
at this and nobody can figure it out.

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Wow, I remeber your problems from before and can't believe you haven't found the problem.

Have you tried removing the aftermarket and MSD stuff and stabbing a stock big cap HEI in there? It's hard to put one of those is wrong since it just needs 1 heavy power wire. This is what I would try at this point just to see it run right.

The MSD also has control wires going to it. It seems you've confirmed the main power is good so what about the other wiring.

If you have replaced all of the main parts it's something that you haven't changed yet. So, either it's some wiring you didn't change or the stock wiring that you're tieing into.

As another though, I've seen a crimp connector where the plastic was crimped to the wire and not the metal part.

If you were up this way I'd take a look at it. I always like a challenge.

Peter

·
Premium Member
3,275 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Peter!The HEI dist has been on my mind but
was wondering if it will do the job for the beast?
What brand name would work for a motor going thru
the traps @7,000 rpms[on the motor?Also have N20
so I would need a pretty good dist due to the fact I'll be hitting it with a 150hp of N20?
I have by-passed all old wiring.It has a extra fuse panel installed which runs off the batt
and my electric fan and so on runs off that.One thing that just came to mind is the main cable running from the battery to the fire wall?It runs along the side of the car frame but if it was bare somewhere it seems like it would short-out
and would catch on fire or at least kill the car all together?I also tried by-passing the kill switch thinking it was going bad.[No change]
Thanks again Driver/Bill

Thanks again,Bill

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
An HEI with a new module and good coil should support the motor. I don't know if I'd spray it though. I was thinking more along the lines of just trying an HEI to see if the problem goes away.

One other thing. Have you go good ground connections between the motor, frame, body and battery?

Peter

1 - 7 of 7 Posts