Team Chevelle banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a matching number 67 SS chevelle 396 block with a Saginaw 4 speed behind it. I don't know if this is the original trans. I've been looking on the internet to find out where the date codes are located and what the correct part numbers are for my chevelle.

Can any of you point me in the right direction. web sites books
Thx,
Jon VP

·
Premium Member
4,996 Posts
If your sure it's a saginaw fully iron 4 speed transmission, than it's not the original transmission to that particular motor. Would have been a powerglide, th400, 3 speed HD or 4 speed muncie.

·
Registered
351 Posts
4-speed Saginaw transmissions were used in the '67 model year in vehicles that had 283, and 327 275 HP engines. All other '67 cars had Muncie transmissions. 325 HP 327 (L79), 325 HP 396, 350 HP 396 and 375 HP 396 cars all used the Muncies. All Muncie equipped cars had the speedometer cable attached to the right side of the transmission and the cable exited the passenger compartment just to the right of the transmission hump. This is a good way to tell if the car was originally equipped with the Muncie. In most cases, retro fitted cars with Muncies will not have the speedometer cable routed properly.

·
Premium Member
5,755 Posts
4-speed Saginaw transmissions were used in the '67 model year in vehicles that had 283, and 327 275 HP engines. All other '67 cars had Muncie transmissions. 325 HP 327 (L79), 325 HP 396, 350 HP 396 and 375 HP 396 cars all used the Muncies.
Actually the Muncie was an option on the SS cars... no matter which version motor was in the car.
The stock tranny was the Borg Warner HD 3 speed ( T16) ;)

·
Registered
351 Posts
I should have been a little more clear in my statements regarding transmission availability. In my first post, I was just referring to 4-speed equipped cars. As stated above, the base transmission in all cars was a 3 speed manual unit with the HD 3-speed being standard with the L-79 small block as well as the big block equipped cars.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have an origanal 67SS big block car with an Saginaw 4 speed trans and
it has it listed on the cowl tag as crrect for this car.

David

·
Premium Member
7,460 Posts
I have an origanal 67SS big block car with an Saginaw 4 speed trans and
it has it listed on the cowl tag as crrect for this car.

David

THIS I would love to see.

Are you honestly saying the trans has the VIN stamp on it and it MATCHES the car? and further more, what does said TRIM TAG say that would possibly indicate Trans manufacturer? The TRIM TAGS didn't even tell us whether it was an M-20, M-21 or M-22 when a 4 speed Muncie Trans was optioned in the car, how could the Tag possibly tell us it was a Saginaw.. seriously, I would love to see the vin and TAG. Thank you

MC

·
Premium Member
8,074 Posts
Tim had it nailed pretty well, I say.

If you had an Oshawa-built '67 SS396 (or other Oshawa-built GM car) it WOULD list the optional transmission and other body options, or anything that Fisher Body had to accomodate. My '67 says M35 because Fisher Body had to make body modifications for the Powerglide, but it does not mention L22 because no mods were needed for that option. If a '67 had a big block it would say L34, or if it had a console it would say D55. All those things required changes on the Fisher Body end; Chevrolet installed stuff (U63 radio) was not listed, at least from what I have seen.
In '67, RPO M20 referred to 3 different transmissions on Chevelles: Saginaw 3.11-low (283), Saginaw 2.54-low (327 L30), Muncie 2.52-low (327 L79 & 396s)

·
Registered
22 Posts
Old thread but maybe the experts can chime in.
Which Saginaw 4 speed gearing would a 67 327/275 L30 been equipped with? I’m looking to install in a 3:36 rear gear car.

·
Registered
8,770 Posts
Cam had it correct
In '67, RPO M20 referred to 3 different transmissions on Chevelles: Saginaw 3.11-low (283), Saginaw 2.54-low (327 L30), Muncie 2.52-low (327 L79 & 396s)
Old thread but maybe the experts can chime in.
Which Saginaw 4 speed gearing would a 67 327/275 L30 been equipped with? I’m looking to install in a 3:36 rear gear car.

·
Registered
8,770 Posts
It’s a EC car, planning on converting to 4 speed.
I know theres also a 2.84 first gear Saginaw.
do you already have the transmission or have a line on several prospects?
are you trying for factory stock items for your 67??
saginaw trans are nice, muncie is better, but a super T10 could bolt in also.
at your power level you could even find a T5 trans that would work nicely with a cruiser car...
there are several other trans that would work, if not limiting your options to only factor stock types...

·
Premium Member
1970 El Camino SS396, VortecPro 467, ATI TH400, Moser 12 bolt /TruTrac 3:42, Hedman headers
547 Posts
Just a note....with Saginaw or Muncie 4 spuds, the lower the ratio of first gear the less torque it was rated for ......2.5 first gear trans would be rated for more torque than a 3.1 first gear (more teeth on the gear but a “thinner” tooth cut.

·
Premium Member
1970 El Camino SS396, VortecPro 467, ATI TH400, Moser 12 bolt /TruTrac 3:42, Hedman headers
547 Posts
Just a note....with Saginaw or Muncie 4 spuds, the lower the ratio of first gear the less torque it was rated for ......2.5 first gear trans would be rated for more torque than a 3.1 first gear (more teeth on the gear but a “thinner” tooth cut.
Error...spuds should be speeds

·
Registered
22 Posts
do you already have the transmission or have a line on several prospects?
are you trying for factory stock items for your 67??
saginaw trans are nice, muncie is better, but a super T10 could bolt in also.
at your power level you could even find a T5 trans that would work nicely with a cruiser car...
there are several other trans that would work, if not limiting your options to only factor stock types...
I actually found a date correct Muncie M20 with no partial vin stamp either.
Assembly date Nov 21 ‘66, my engine is stamped Nov 26 without a vin stamp either.
Trim tag shows 12B, car sold new Dec 20, ‘66.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts