Chevelles.com banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The 65 Malibu I just brought home has a nagging problem. The two front bows are sagging. It's the original headliner and dosn't apperar to have been removed or altered. The bows are in the holes on both sides. Is there anything I can without destroying the original?

·
Registered
920 Posts
Jimmy,

Mine actually separated on my '68, but was in mint condition. A local shop took it out, restitched the entire thing and rehung it. Best $150 I ever spent! Look new.

------------------
David Reinecke - aka - FINE 68
1968 Chevelle 300 Sport Coupe Deluxe
www.geocities.com/jdreinecke

·
Registered
348 Posts
Jimmy, You may be able to tighten it by carefully pulling the material loose from the edges and reglueing it. Then use a heat gun to shrink it tight. I did this with an original headliner in my El Camino before I did a color change and replaced it with a new one. It came out looking very nice when I did it. Be carefull not the get the material too hot when heating it. It sags when you heat it, but it will draw tight when it cools. First heat the entire headliner, then repeat for wrinkled areas. Try to pull it tighe evenly when you first reglue it.

------------------
Brian TC#1092, ACES#4374
---------------------------------------------------------
1964 Malibu SS Convertible (Garage Queen) Before Restoration
1965 El Camino (Daily Driver) Before Restoration
1981 Corvette (Sidelined for repairs)

·
Registered
3,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's not really the material that's sagging. The bows are still in the channels. The bows are what's sagging. I can push them back up, but they don't stay up. It's just the front two bows. ???????

·
Registered
39 Posts
Hey Jimmy.....Just wear your big old cowboy hat, that should keep it up there.
When am i going to see your new ride? Walt

------------------
Walt Risch
66 SS396 marina blue, A.C.E.S #124, Metroplex Muscle Car Club
walt's 66 SS.COM

·
Registered
348 Posts
Jimmy,

There are usually multiple holes at each side, try the top ones and see if they don't give the correct bend to the bows to hold them up. There are little raised bumps that the bows rest against to prevent them from rotating down. Try to adjust the bows until it is bowed enough to spread it yo rest properly on these bumps.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts