Team Chevelle banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4,961 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While installing rear shocks on my 71 yesterday, I happened to look up and noticed that all of the neoprene fuel hoses above the rear end housing were crumbling and cracked. The hoses at the fuel tank were deteriorated badly as well. Anyone who has completed a frame off should have already replaced these hoses. If you've recently purchased your car, or if like myself, purchased it with the intention of starting a frame off later, you need to crawl under your car and inspect these hoses ASAP. Like I said, they are above the rear end housing. One, of course, is the fuel supply line, and the rest are part of the vapor recovery system.

·
Registered
948 Posts
Randy,
You brought some good advice. I changed all the fuel hoses in my 67 because of that reason. This might save a couple other cars from fire also.

------------------
Jay W.
In-the-works 67 Malibu
genxrodsandcustoms.8m.com
surferwagons.8m.com

·
Premium Member
8,074 Posts
I also replaced mine for safety reasons. Another thing that happened to me after filling my tank to the brim; I parked my '67 on a downgrade on a hot day. With the heat came expansion and forced lots of gas out the tank vent over the rear axle. I did not even want to attempt to start the car with all the gas & fumes around (I was scared to death). DON'T OVERFILL YOUR TANK!

[This message has been edited by Cam (edited 08-15-99).]

·
Premium Member
2,035 Posts
Yep,those fuel lines are so often over looked,everyone will be crawlin under their car tonight,GOOD TIP!As for the over fill thing, happened to me once,and cam your right,SCARRRRRRRY!good one have,gents67rat member #199

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
thank god for you guys, i would have NEVER thought of that and i'd rather have my newly painted car than a big insurance check!!!

·
Registered
336 Posts
Also don't forget to check out the steel lines especially in the Northeast. My line sprung several leaks due to rusting and had been patched with neoprene lines. Replaced it all with 3/8" preflared fuel line. Don't go crazy with the rubber hose, remeber NHRA only allows about 12" of it in your fuel lines, good idea to use as much steel as you can for general saftey. Also don't be afraid to replace that rusty fuel tank. patches are not the answer generally.

------------------
Frank W
Gen X Member#22 (MA)
73 Malibu Coupe
http://hometown.aol.com/folingo/myhomepage/auto.html
Mighty 305 Power

·
Registered
20 Posts
Any ideas where the best place to get a gas tank is?? Mine is really rusty and has a pin hole leak. This is really timely, I just noticed the leak and am taking the tank out ASAP.

·
Registered
313 Posts
66, try our sponsor, Ground Up restorations, for a tank. I happened to get mine from Hinshaws Chevelle Parts, mainly because the version they offer included the filler neck already installed. Check to make sure you get that type, or you will also need to buy the neck and have it installed by a local radiator shop.

Another safety note, I upgraded to the 3/8th line and had to be very careful to make sure that the line did not touch the frame in any spot that might later rub and cause a leak that way. Be sure to inspect the entire length both before and after the body is back on.

John Walker

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.