Team Chevelle banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,555 Posts
Negative first. Now, let me explain why.

If you disconnect the positve cable first, you have an excellent chance of bumping the wrench against a metal part of the vehicle.. fender, radiator support, etc. The body/chassis is used as the negative (ground) conductor for the electrical circuits. If you "connect" the wrench to a component which is part of that ground circuit...INSTANT SHORT! AND SPARKS! Removing the negative cable, which is "ground", removes the possibility of a light show AND vehicle damage. Also, it saves you a change of underwear. ;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,912 Posts
Originally posted by MalibuJerry350:
If you "connect" the wrench to a component which is part of that ground circuit...INSTANT SHORT! AND SPARKS! Removing the negative cable, which is "ground", removes the possibility of a light show AND vehicle damage. Also, it saves you a change of underwear. ;)
...at the very least. If you set off those sparks when the battery's gasses are present, you may blow up the battery and need to be treated for severe burns all over your body.

ALWAYS disconnect the negative first!

That is, unless you have a positive ground system. I've heard of these, but I've never seen one.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,555 Posts
Originally posted by cjlandry:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by MalibuJerry350:
If you "connect" the wrench to a component which is part of that ground circuit...INSTANT SHORT! AND SPARKS! Removing the negative cable, which is "ground", removes the possibility of a light show AND vehicle damage. Also, it saves you a change of underwear. ;)
...at the very least. If you set off those sparks when the battery's gasses are present, you may blow up the battery and need to be treated for severe burns all over your body.

ALWAYS disconnect the negative first!

That is, unless you have a positive ground system. I've heard of these, but I've never seen one.
</font>[/QUOTE]Like I said...instant change of underwear AND cool pyrotechnics! :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
231 Posts
Hello-
I had that happen to me!!!!!!!! An old Caprice station wagon......had the hood open with a short stick holding it up (bad hinges). All I did was "wiggle" the battery cable-------and------BOOM!!!! If the hood had been up all the way, I would have been in the hospital.

Been afraid of batteries ever since.......got my hearing back a few days later........sounded like a bomb went off!!!!!

ktownkid
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,152 Posts
You are very lucky! At a minimum you could have been blinded or severely chemical burned. :(

It never failed to amaze me at the parts store I worked at how many guys would come walking in with a (supposedly) dead battery, all leaky, with a lit cig or stogie in their mouth! :eek:

We'd dive behind the counter and YELL at 'em to either lose the stogie or put the battery outside! They'd just stand there with a "What? :confused: " look on their face!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,249 Posts
If you're wondering why on that last post.
Research the Hindenburg
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
168 Posts
Heres an easy way to remember it:

The positive is the last to come off and the first to go on.

The only way to do it; especially on new cars where a voltage spike from removing the pos first could fry a computer or something.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,119 Posts
what about after jump starting the vehicle, take the black (ground) cord off first, right?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,762 Posts
If you are doing a jump start, the ground cable shouldn't be hooked to the battery. It should be hooked to part of the engine or a well grounded part of the car well away from the battery. Then remove the ground jumper after starting. Learned the hard way. Had a battery cap hit me in the forehead when the battery went bang!
 

·
Gold Founding Member
Joined
·
64,284 Posts
Originally posted by John D:

It never failed to amaze me at the parts store I worked at how many guys would come walking in with a (supposedly) dead battery, all leaky, with a lit cig or stogie in their mouth! :eek:

We'd dive behind the counter and YELL at 'em to either lose the stogie or put the battery outside! They'd just stand there with a "What? :confused: " look on their face!
I think y'all were just a little paranoid, smoking a cigarette or cigar while carrying a battery would never cause it to blow up, now an open flame or spark very near a charging or very recently charged battery maybe

When my oldest son was about 14 he exploded a neighbor friend's mother's battery when he connected the jumper cables up backwards.
Fortunately his friends mother was right there and was a nurse, she threw him in the shower and yanked off his clothes so he got no burns at all.

All Fords and Crysler products were positive ground until the transister became popular.

My dad taught me to never put a wrench on the "hot" cable unless the ground was disconnected either when connecting or disconnecting.

dyno jonn has the correct way to do the battery jump - ground cable to a good ground as far from the battery as possible and always connect it last and disconnect it first.
 
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top