Team Chevelle banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,002 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 99 pickup just decided to not start. Have had no problems before, I parked it for a few hours then had a friend move it to where I was working and shut it off. Went out a half hour later and it won't start. The battery is fine and charged. When you turn on the key it makes some strange buzzing noises and won't even try to turn over. The in dash volt meter only shows 7(minimum) volts and the electric windows run real slow. When you turn the key off the windows on the time delay run fine. Also had a heck of a time getting the key warning dinger to quit dinging, had to turn the key on and off 10 times or so and took in and out 10 time to get it to quiet down. The truck is now out sitting by the baseball field in the dark(I'm a college coach). Was hoping someone would have an idea to try tommorrow. :confused:
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
545 Posts
If the volt meter only shows 7 volts it sure sounds like your battery is dead. How are you sure that the battery is fine and charged, have you checked voltage at the battery itself?
Batteries can fail very suddenly when a cell shorts.

If the battery is holding a good charge, check your positive cable. Side post batteries are notorious for cracking behind the positive terminal, then the cables start corroding and won't pass voltage through.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,002 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Rod-I tested voltage at the battery. every thing seems ok until I turn on the ignition switch and the buzzing starts somewhere under the dash. I am heading out there now to take a look in the daylight. Don't really know what I am looking for but hopefully I can look at that cable and it or something else will be something obvious.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
545 Posts
Good luck on your hunt.

My 99 Suburban would seem like everything was fine until I hit the switch to start, then the juice would just go away. A broken pos battery terminal ended up being the problem.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,002 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Rod-I think you are right about the cable. Went out and checked battery again moved the cables around and it fired up. Got it home, shut it off and now same crap again. Sounds a lot like the same prob you had. Will pull cable in the morning and replace. Thanks for the input.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
545 Posts
The outer cable was a dealer item for mine.
Disconnect the battery and clean the cable ends really well then neutralize the ends and under your battery tray really well with baking soda, maybe you won't have to replace anything but the battery.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,093 Posts
Before you buy a new cable make sure the nut on the starter for the pos connection has not just become loose. On my truck this starter terminal is also the junction point for the interior power lead. That is where I found my weak power problem once.

Rene
66_Malibu
 
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Top