Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
do any of you have a trick for getting rusty stripped screws out?i took off my original mirror to replace it with a new one and the screws that hold the bracket on are competely stripped and very rusted?

·
Premium Member
3,438 Posts
If there is anything left of the slots, try tightening the screw first to break it free, then loosen. If not, a little heat can be used, but probably not here as your paint may be damaged. Sometimes you can get a vice grip on the screw if it isnt flush. Sometimes putting a chisel against the screw head and tapping it will loosen the rust enough to be able to get it out. Last resort would be to dremel off the head and drill out the screw body. There are lots of different ways, just depends on the screw and how much room you have to work.

------------------
Dave (NY)
70 chevelle ss396 conv
66 chevelle ss396 hdp/conv
72 chevelle
TC member #493
Never forget Earnhardt!

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
im not worried about the paint its getting repainted real soon..ill try both..that should work..thanks

·
Registered
120 Posts
Apply some PB Blaster penetrating oil, preferably a day or two before you attempt removal. Tap the head with a small ball pein hammer to help break it loose, and make sure you have a good screw driver (or bit) that fits the screw head well. I have an impact driver that takes interchangeable bits that you twist to "wind up" and then hit with a hammer. If the screw or bolt breaks off, try a reverse pitch drill bit in a reversable electric drill.

Good luck with it!

------------------
Mike Ahlmann
'69 Elky SS-396
Sunnyvale, CA
There are no atheists at 150 MPH!

G

·
If I have the time I like to take apenatrating oil and soak the thing good... Usually soak it once a day for as long as I can
Cliff

·
Premium Member
131 Posts
Sears has a set of screw extractors that they say will remove stripped screws, $19.95 for a set of three. Saw the ad on TV several weeks ago. Looks like an addition for my tool boxes.

------------------
Rick
67ss bb
But dear, all it needs is a harmonic balancer.....
Rick's 67

·
Registered
548 Posts
When you say stripped is the head ok or is it the threads have you tried cussin I find that helps.If the head is the problem try dipping the end of the screwdriver in valve grinding compound seems to give it more bite...FRED

------------------

·
Registered
173 Posts
Sometimes you can take a hack saw blade and cut the screw head for a flat tip screw driver. I've done this several times, works great. I'd try the sears screw extractors they look like the way to go.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.