Chevelles.com banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,843 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There is a lot of rust on the fuse clips on the fusebox on the instrument harness that I'm going to install this weekend in my 68 SS. Nothing is broken, the clips have plenty of spring tension, they're just rusty. My plan is to use a wire brush on a Dremel tool to clean them & then coat the clips with Vaseline. Does anybody have a better idea, or can you confirm that this is a good repair? Thanks for the help.

BL

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
Never did mine but I've heard using a mild acid like Hydrochloric acid ( AKA Muriatic acid, swimming pool acid), then neutralizing it or scrubbing them with toothpaste works.

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
Might try a touch on the side and see what happens. Be sure the area is well vented. Naval Jelly I believe is phosphoric acid based which is a mild acid. Not sure on the block. Alway thought it was Bakelite or a phenolic resin.

·
Premium Member
5,656 Posts
A good way to get the rust off the clips is go to the gun store or any store that sells gun cleaning supplies, and buy a brass or stainless steel 22 cal bore brush. You can bend it in a 90 and get in between the clips in the fuse block, works quite well, and no acid needed.

Rocky

·
Premium Member
6,843 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The brush idea is a good one, but i saw the post after I did this--I took 2 Dremel sanding discs and put them on the mandrel back-to-back and cleaned all that I could get to with them. Then I went to HD & bought a ball shaped grinding wheel small enough to get into the clip. I put the wheel in the clip, buzzed the Dremel for a couple of seconds. Then I coated the clips with Vaseline & installed new fuses. This worked pretty well and didn't take much time.

Thanks,
BL

1 - 6 of 6 Posts