Team Chevelle banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There are hundreds of tiny rust particles over the front and rear chrome bumpers on my car. Standing a few feet back, you can't even tell. I've tried a lot of chemicals and nothing seems to dissolve the rust that seems to be pitted. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Try naval jelly if you haven't yet. Most hardware stores should carry it. Its a pink concoction which looks a lot like pepto bismol. I've used it with great success, most recently on my rally wheels. You brush it on, let it sit for about 20 minutes, then rinse thorougly with water. Hope this helps!

Brian R.

·
Registered
336 Posts
well i havent done this on my car, but on my 3 wheeler which sits outside (covered but exposed sorta) gets rust spots on the chrome all the time, i just use a wire wheel on the dremel moto-tool and it comes right off.. i bet you would have the same success with very fine steel wool.. better try in an "inconspicuous area" as they say

mike reeh

·
Registered
27 Posts
Naval Jelly and Steel wool will work but the real problem is that the chrome is pitted. even if you remove the rust you will still see the little pitts. If you want to remove these permanently you will have to rechrome the bumpers. Steel wool will remove the rust that's there, but it will also remove some more of the chrome thus allowing for more pitting. Naval jelly works also but not that great. The rust pitts will come back.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Yes Steve's right. Close examination may show that actually the rusting is "beneath" the chrome. If you have a bumper or other item re-chromed, it takes a lot of polishing to remove this tiny pitting from the base metal, otherwise this pitting will return. Many times that is the difference between a bargain chrome job and one costing big $$$.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.