Team Chevelle banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
68 chevelle wagon nomad custom
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a 68 wagon for a project car, and it might be a really short lived project. Got the interior out and on stands so I could look it over good and found a lot more rust damage then I thought. Complete floor, behind the rear tires both sides, c pillar both sides, and rear section of outer rockers. Probably the worst of it is the frame and five body mounts rusted though. It's bummer the car seems complete but underneath there's not much left.
Am i crazy to think it should be used for parts instead of fix it? I'm guessing atleast $2000 in just material to fix/patch the body.
The body mounts looks cool though!

Attachments

·
Registered
1969 Grand Prix. 455 TH400 12 bolt.
256 Posts
Yes two grand won't get a restoration project far, even if the hobbyist does the work. What it sounds to me like is something useful for a fabricator with some modern salvage to pick from. As in oh, say maybe S10 frame swap and build a floor around that with Yukon drivetrain for a ballpark example.

The potential for that context depends mainly on the patina factor. If it's ugly as-is, better ditch that idea.

The body rust isn't so confrontational (I'm a classic and custom bodyman) but the frame being toast plus the fact that no matter what you do... you have a 68 wagon, no matter how it turns out, makes the parting out seem much more sensible. Only then, you have no wagon when done. Pick your battles with care.

·
Registered
691 Posts
If your saying it’s done then, put it up for sale and let some other sucker take a crack at it. Or part it out, you may make some money on your lemon yet.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You could get a southwestern rolling body, and switch everything over. Would suspect a skilled body man could fix what you describe, but it's going to be a lot more than $2000 to do correctly.
That's what I'm thinking about doing. I'm guessing most of the little parts would fit 68-72 just not be year correct.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes two grand won't get a restoration project far, even if the hobbyist does the work. What it sounds to me like is something useful for a fabricator with some modern salvage to pick from. As in oh, say maybe S10 frame swap and build a floor around that with Yukon drivetrain for a ballpark example.

The potential for that context depends mainly on the patina factor. If it's ugly as-is, better ditch that idea.

The body rust isn't so confrontational (I'm a classic and custom bodyman) but the frame being toast plus the fact that no matter what you do... you have a 68 wagon, no matter how it turns out, makes the parting out seem much more sensible. Only then, you have no wagon when done. Pick your battles with care.
Frame I could probably work somthing out, brother wants a 71/72 el camino for a 4x4 swap and could get a frame from that, assuming he does it haha.

·
Premium Member
1968 Malibu sport coupe, 489 ci. 590 hp 600 tq, RV T-400 Freakshow 3200 stall, 3.73 12 bolt posi
10,595 Posts
I may be interested in the Defrost duct if you part it out depending on price

·
Registered
359 Posts
The frame repair is nothing to be scared of, especially if it's just replacing the body mount holes. Even if other sections are bad, still not a show stopper - let's see some pictures!

Here's all the work I did to one a few years back, the thread was brought up recently - body mount holes and a rusted-through area: Frame help

·
Registered
1969 Grand Prix. 455 TH400 12 bolt.
256 Posts
Boy howdy thats a tall drink of work in the pics. In the existing condition it might interest the next guy too. Hard for me to say because the Pontiac wheel is on there and I like those, he hee. :)

Can't say I can think of a cooler wagon to have although yeah they may exist. Anyway yeah some guy out on the highway here has a mid 70s Skylark on a something 4x4 frame.

FWIW, my junk (69 GP) uses exactly the same frame as el Camino. But the wagon, due to tank mounting... may be by itself. As-is, or the difference may be work-around-able. Might want to debunk that before speculating about replacements, or just dig deeper on what you have. Most anything metal can be fixed. The existing look could grow on a guy. I'm pretty sure paint prices will be out of hand by the time I could fix that one up.

Best o luck whichever path you take.

·
Premium Member
8,117 Posts
Man, I'd fix that up the best I could. Even if it's just welding in metal or cutting similar parts from a similar vehicle.

Could pieces of sheet metal, some C channel etc....

·
Registered
72 nomad
201 Posts
Boy howdy thats a tall drink of work in the pics. In the existing condition it might interest the next guy too. Hard for me to say because the Pontiac wheel is on there and I like those, he hee. :)

Can't say I can think of a cooler wagon to have although yeah they may exist. Anyway yeah some guy out on the highway here has a mid 70s Skylark on a something 4x4 frame.

FWIW, my junk (69 GP) uses exactly the same frame as el Camino. But the wagon, due to tank mounting... may be by itself. As-is, or the difference may be work-around-able. Might want to debunk that before speculating about replacements, or just dig deeper on what you have. Most anything metal can be fixed. The existing look could grow on a guy. I'm pretty sure paint prices will be out of hand by the time I could fix that one up.

Best o luck whichever path you take.
Wagon and el camino frame are the same. I have been setting up one now for my 72 wagon.

Sent from my SM-T500 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I will have a 72 wagon frame out of mine in a few months I hope if you want one.

Sent from my SM-T500 using Tapatalk
Maybe, I like the idea of a stiffer frame though too. The wagon has taken a back seat for right now trying to get other things done. But I have been keeping an eye out for parts/donors

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
Damn, pretty crusty. Did you buy it sight unseen?
No I'm just a dum dum haha. Mostly lack of knowledge. I knew it would need floors but didn't know to check floor braces. Buddy of mine said to check the frame by the rear tires, so I look on the wheel well back but not foward. And it was local to me so easy so go get. Live and learn.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts