Team Chevelle banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 70 with a 502 and TH400. This thing is running real hot. I know that the guy I bought it from didnt set it up right, that's why I'm here. I beleive it is a 3 core small block radiator with one electric fan. I would like to use electric fans and just maybe opt for a better radiator. Whats your opinion?

Dennis Monares

·
Registered
283 Posts
It takes X amount of cooling surface to remove the heat produced by X amount of horse power. The bigger the motor the bigger the radator needs to be or more air flow over it.
Put a "70s" chevy pickup 4row radator in there (one for tht tow truck would be better) and forget it.
I use the pick-up radator with the shroud from a 70s Camaro in my Chevelles.

------------------
Harley
69 461 El Camino Nitrous Model, 69 Chevelle coupe
70 El Camino,71 SS Camaro
79 Corvette
Kerrville,Tx.
A Camel is a Horse designed by a commitee

·
Registered
167 Posts
I had a 69 Chevelle that had a single electric fan when I got it. Had trouble staying cool with a tough 400 SB, and big block two row radiator (that was in good condition). Since I had the parts laying around, I put the correct fan shroud and a flex fan on. That fixed it. Cooled excellent after that. It seems to take a lot of electric fan (usually 2 of them) to equal a big flex fan and proper shroud.

------------------
Steve

72 Chevelle SS402/4sp

·
Registered
38 Posts
I'm using an OEM fan and no shroud on a 502. The hottest day since I've had it was only around 60 degrees but as of now it won't go past 180. My 4 core radiator cost me an arm and a leg but in my opinion, it's a must.Make sure the fan is wired correctly. I saw a Camaro that had the fan wired backwards causing the fan to turn in the wrong direction.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
do you want the fans facing the motor pushing or vice versa, I figured that you would want to push hot air out of the engine compartment, but on the other hand you would be fighting the air trying to push through the radiator while driving.

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
You want your electric fan to pull the air through the radiator. If you want to use an electric fan and have enough room between the engine and the radiator, check out vintage air's electric fan, it's the best one out there. Also check out Spal's line up they offer a wide variety of fan sizes. Big Blocks can be cooled by electric fans if you get the correct one's, of high quality and you get what you pay for. Don't get one of those cheap ones from Auto Zone, they will never cool an engine by themselves.

------------------
If it were'nt for old chevrolets I'd probably would have killed myself by now! JJ

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
is that pull through as towards the front of the car, or pull through as in towards the engine.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Last summer I started to have some high operating temperature problems.Car(72 SS454) still had original rad!The temperature would creep up to 200-225 degrees in traffic and never drop below about 190 -195.
I had the rad recored and instead of going the electric fan route I put on a new Flexilite Aluminum 19" flex fan. Installed a 160 degree thermostat in motor.
Overheating problem gone.Now runs 175-195 degrees max,even with extra tranny cooler in front of the rad.
One extra note.Make sure your fan belt is tight.Sometimes even though you can`t hear it "squealing" it could be slipping, particlarily if it is an old belt.Best bet is put on a new one.If the fan is not turning fast enough the rad is getting insufficient air flow at low vehicle speeds.(e.g in slow traffic)

·
Registered
86 Posts
Last summer I started to have some high operating temperature problems.Car(72 SS454) still had original rad!The temperature would creep up to 200-225 degrees in traffic and never drop below about 190 -195.
I had the rad recored and instead of going the electric fan route I put on a new Flexilite Aluminum 19" flex fan. Installed a 160 degree thermostat in motor.Make sure you use the fan shroud.
Overheating problem gone.Now runs 175-195 degrees max,even with extra tranny cooler in front of the rad.
One extra note.Make sure your fan belt is tight.Sometimes even though you can`t hear it "squealing" it could be slipping, particlarily if it is an old belt.Best bet is put on a new one.If the fan is not turning fast enough the rad is getting insufficient air flow at low vehicle speeds.(e.g in slow traffic)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Electric fans are my only route, I have March pulleys on it, and with the new 4 core radiator I picked up last night the regular fan wont fit on it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.