Team Chevelle banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a 69 Chevelle that I am replacing fuel line ( as well as alot of other items ) from front to rear. I will be going from gas tank to a fram fuel filter and then into a "blue holley" electric fuel pump, problem I've got is where and how to route the new aluminum fuel line. I know to clamp along the passenger side of frame but need to somehow get line from rear or rearend towards front of car. I plan on a fair amount of drag time so I don't think I can just use rubber fuel line to route around this "problem" area, I can run braided line but that adds up to big $$. I did this about 12 years ago on my last car and just can't recall how to run line and want to make sure that how ever line gets routed that car will pass tech. Anybody else have this happen I could sure use any help availablethanks!

·
Registered
738 Posts
On a 70' Malibu, I first also used a solid aluminum fuel line (1/2") from the front frame area just behind the right front tire (there is a factory hole to run braided thru - up to the engine) and then down through the side frame rail and then up and over the rear along the same path that the stock line traveled. With a solid line, you have to be really careful not to kink the bends for a good fit and I had to use braided sections for the bends and turns toward the rear area and for the short leg up to the engine.

Last week though, I switched to solid braided #8 (I know - should have done this the first time
) from the pump all of the way up to the fuel pressure regulator. I had to drill two 1.25" holes in the frame to plumb the line correctly, without it dangling along side exhaust or suspension parts.

The concern I had with the solid line was that I had too many connections going from solid to braided just to make the bends and curves. I didn't like the idea of one of those clamp connections coming loose (one day when I would have least expected it) and spraying fuel all over my hot exhaust system. If you do plan to go ahead and use the solid line combined with rubber or braided, just be sure to check the integrity of those connections periodically. Hope this helps you in some way

·
Registered
19 Posts
On my '72, I'm using two 1/2" aluminum tubes all the way from the gas tank to the engine compartment. I'll me mounting a pump and filter back by the tank. I also ran the tubes through the frame up by the front similar to how it was originally. One line will carry fuel from the tank to carb and the other will carry excess fuel from the regulator back to the tank.

Take a look at the pictures on my webpage. Pictures should help explain it better. Here is the link www.athenet.net/~chevelle .Then goto the frame section.

Good Luck,
Jeff ACES #1510

[This message has been edited by Jeff K (edited 02-27-99).]

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.