Team Chevelle banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Everyone,

I have a 67 Malibu that came with 15 x 8 rear rally wheels and 15x7 in front. It also has 9" drums all around. First dumb question is being the rims are 15 x 7 and 8 and the drums are 9" am I loosing stopping power?

The next dumb question is I am thinking about changing to a 11" rear set up, and have been reading about donor cars. Which cars would be suitable for this job?
And also I have a 10 bolt rear if that matters.

THANKS ALL
John

·
Registered
414 Posts
Before changing to anything else, why not just refresh what you have and try it? I can tell you it'd be the cheapest way to go. Replace the shoes, one side at a time, and check the drums for out of round and/or wear. Adjust when you have it back together and see what you have. Just a personal thought- if buying drums, buy American made drums, the quality difference is very noticable.

·
Registered
6,399 Posts
FYI, 15" is the diameter of the wheel, 9" is the diameter of the drums. The 7" and 8" are the width of the rim, or the area that, without tires, would sit on the ground.

If you really want to stop well and keep drums, look at www.praisedynobrake.com. Awesome stuff, great stopping power - even if you decide to go 11".

Not sure of donor cars, but I know Master Power Brakes sells an 11" kit complete. (I have them) The 11" drums JUST fit inside my 15" wheels.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts