Chevelles.com banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm so excited!!!!!! After many years I've finally gotten some color on the car! I found a spot that needs to be touched up I'll hit tomorrow but it's beautiful!

I didn't realize OMNI paint was low end but it came out pretty good so far considering my setup. No bugs or runs. For the big paint day I'll clean the garage really well and put filters on the intake side of the garage.

·
Premium Member
3,864 Posts
Looking Good!

·
Registered
4,302 Posts
Too late now but there are procedures that would have saved you time. One is not to blow overspray all over the place when jamming. Two is you could have painted the trunk lid area when you shot the shell. That's for starters. If painting in pieces it is best to buy or build a sungun to find out when you have full coverage by doing a sprayout on a card. Kill the booth lights and see when the transition disappears. I've seen guys paint their cars twice because the effed up procedures. Omni has poor coverage and that is why it's inexpensive.

·
Premium Member
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah I was nervous about painting the deck lid on it due to the angle for the rear of it (read it can be a pain). I bought a sun gun and it was a lifesaver for exactly that and helped me a ton!

I was going to go with eastwood but found a local jobber. Wasn't until I got home that I realized that omni was the cheap paint. 🤦‍♂️as my wife said, it's my first time so mistakes will be made, kids will hit it, etc so give it a go.

·
Registered
4,302 Posts
Not sure why you jambed it instead of painting it all. If you jamb you should back mask so there is not overstay all over the outer panels. Twice the work and more. Look before you leap. I know not many pros hang out here anymore but there are enough to sometimes help you guys out. Whoever said painting the angle of the decklid was wrong. You'll get it done but with a boatload more work than is required.

·
Premium Member
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Not sure why you jambed it instead of painting it all. If you jamb you should back mask so there is not overstay all over the outer panels. Twice the work and more. Look before you leap. I know not many pros hang out here anymore but there are enough to sometimes help you guys out. Whoever said painting the angle of the decklid was wrong. You'll get it done but with a boatload more work than is required.
So for context for anyone that follows suit:
I researched the crap out of this and it seemed like it was a crapshoot and everyone had their own reasons for one way or the other. For me, I decided to do the jambing to keep my bolts clean, practice painting on areas that are less exposed, etc. opposed to painting apart and risking the nicks. I had a hell of a time assembling it just in primer and not scratching/knicking.

I figured I will do the 3M Soft Edge tape and the backmasking method to get the "smoother" lines but if there are some, I'm fine with that. I still have to reassemble and do the major blocking once the panels are secure. So ill get that overspray off with a quick once over with the DA and spray my high build primer.

In the end I am learning a crap ton and having fun!

·
Registered
4,302 Posts
All panels should be 100% straight before jambing. Now you are going to block and prime again like you said. Makes zero sense. If you got that overspray over unsanded primer you shot yourself in the foot. Whatever answers you got with your research were not by qualified shop owners.

·
Premium Member
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So in hindsight, doing the jambs at the same time is no biggie, just shoot the back of the hinges before putting on the front fenders. That said I did have to remove the over spray on my unsanded high build primer and block everything yadda yadda so that was a pain so yeah don't do that. I then sprayed another coat of high build the blocked, filled pin holes, etc. Base coat red, let sit overnight, base coat black stripes and cleared today.

Have some dust nibs I noticed when spaying the clear but it think it came off the masking. But I'll clean that up in the spring when I cut and buff. The omni paint was ok but it was thin like I read about.

In the end my family and I are super happy as it's fresh, the body is protected and we won't feel bad having the kiddos jump in for a ride. 11 years is too long already!

·
Premium Member
449 Posts
You'll be blocking it for a bit to cut the orange peel, and a bit of buffing, but not bad.... pretty good in fact (I've seen alot worse in fact).

1 - 15 of 15 Posts