Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
was thinking about adding some crane energizer roller rockers to my engine..how do i know what ratio to get..?in jegs it says 1.5 1.6 1.7...whats the difference ?i have a 383 sb with just some sb chevy heads..are these easy to install or is it better to leave up to a pro??is there any thing more two it than removing the old ones and putting the new ones on??ive never done it before

·
Registered
514 Posts
i just di this to my car and it isnt hard at all. First things first what kind of cam are you running? and what kind of heads and pushrods?

The roller rockers act like a leaver, think of it as moving a big rock with a stick with a shorter stick (1.5) it will move but not as easily as with a bigger stick (1.6 or 1.7). when the rockers move the valve opens more effeciently taking strain of the valvetrain and freeing up hp and keeps everything cooler because the rolling tip doesn't creat4e friction heat which again frees up some hp. hope this helps and the install is just as easy as the explanation is…

·
Registered
4,647 Posts
Before you start changing parts in your engine, make sure the rest of the parts are compatible with the new ones. In this case, make sure your springs can handle the increased lift of a 1.6:1 rocker arm before you install them. Most stock or stock-style valve springs are rated for about .500" lift. Increasing the rocker arm ratio could get you into trouble with your springs binding or the keeper bottoming out on the seal and guide.
1.6 rockers also position the pushrod closer to the rocker stud, and also closer to the edge of the guide hole in the head. You may end up with the pushrod hitting the head, and this is very noisy. You will have to enlarge the hole with a Louis Tool, or switch to a longer pushrod. I had this problem and .100" long pushrods solved it.
One advantage of the 1.6 rockers over the 1.5's besides increased valve lift is that the valve spring has more leverage on the pushrod and lifter, resulting in less chance of valve float if you're inclined to rev in that area.

------------------
67 Nova 3475# daily driver
10:1 406, 700R4, 224° Comp cam, RPM and a Q-jet - 11.76 @ 116
64 Chevelle Road Racer in the works
67 Nova Wagon under construction

·
Registered
67 Posts
What do those rockers go for? From what I understand, while they can be beneficial, you really don't see the hp gains unless your spinning the motor above 6000, which most of the street motors don't do. While they are really nice to have, I personally think that the money can be spent elsewhere and you'll see more of an increase in performance. Take that money and start saving up for a nice set of heads, and when all else is said and done go to the rollers.

I've also heard that while the 1.6's are nice, the real way to get more lift is to change the cam, not the rockers. It's kind of a crutch for a weak cam.

Just as a side note, a lot of guys just run 1.6's on the exhaust. There's a reason for this that I don't know off hand, but I know the late, great Smokey Yunick did this with some of his small blocks, and that's reason enough to look into it. Good luck with your upgrades Jlone.

·
Registered
514 Posts
well i run the 1.6's on the exhaust because i have big intake valves on the heads and it will help the motor breathe in the higher rpm's i also went to a super victor junior for more top end…

·
Registered
514 Posts
Are you going to change your cam? Then if you are what kind of cam would you run? Are you sure their 202 heads? If so change the cam and they sell kits with the cam and rockers with the correct length pushrods and everything. That might be a good idea.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.