Team Chevelle banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Help! My roller rockers keep losening up. I have a 355 small block with dart II heads, and they have SI 7/16 rocker arm studs with 1.6 Harland Sharp roller rockers. I have a hydralic cam and my lash is a quarter turn after 0 lash. I adjust the valves using the firing order method (turning the crank 90 degrees and adjusting the next valve in order). I set the lash and then tighten the lock nut but it doesn't hold. Is there a specific torque setting for the lock nut. This is driving me bonkers.

·
Super Moderator
12,779 Posts
Steve,
This can be a problem if you are not "bold" enough to really torque the things down good. The way I do it is to get the adjustment where I want it, then back it off about 1/8 - 1/4 turn, then I snug down the set screw, then I grab hold of the wrench on the polylock, and the allen wrench and turn them both at the same time till they are REAL tight. This is why I normally do not even mess with polylocks....get a stud girdle and it will solve all the problems. One other thing to look at is the tops of the studs, some of the less expensive studs do not have a real nice flat surface. Comp Cam's seem to be the best, they actually machine them flat. If you think this is your problem, take the studs to your machine shop and have them put them in the valve facer and "butt" them flat using the part of the machine that does the ends of the valves. They have to be flat and perpendicular to the stud.
Hope this helps some

------------------
Bill Koustenis
Advanced Automotive Machine
Waldorf Md

1971 Heavy Chevy - original owner
Team Chevelle #100

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hehe. I just broke two polylockers. Oh well, I ordered a set of arp studs and polylocks (80 bux). I wish I waited for your post and saw the stud girdle suggestion.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.