Team Chevelle banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are redoing the cage in my friends 71 chevelle. The previous owner did a real hack job. He just welded plates to the floor and the welds were terrible.

He has a stock dash and steering column. I need picks where the front tube comes down and ties to the door bar.
Thanks

·
Registered
11,982 Posts
I don't have any pictures but mine comes down in behind the dashboard (not through the dash) and goes through the floor to the frame. The side bar then goes from the loop to the a-pillar bar.

·
Registered
237 Posts
HarrisQ, how'd you weld the joint under the rocker bar?
Ooooh, I didn't do any of the welding as I'm not that proficient with a welder. I had it done for me. Actually, if I had it to do over I would have the bars run down through the dash to the floor so the cross bar at knee height would not be visible. It would give me more room to get in and out of the car.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Ooooh, I didn't do any of the welding as I'm not that proficient with a welder. I had it done for me. Actually, if I had it to do over I would have the bars run down through the dash to the floor so the cross bar at knee height would not be visible. It would give me more room to get in and out of the car.

Is it mandatory to have a cross bar if the firewall isn't modified? Last I checked, it wasn't but you know how a lot of things change...

·
Registered
978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
If the O.E.M. firewall has been modified (in excess of 1 square foot (929 cm2) for transmission removal, not including bolted in components) a lower windshield or dash bar of 1 1/4 x .058-inch (32 x 1.5 mm) 4130 chrome moly or 1 1/4 x .118-inch (32 x 3.0 mm) mild steel is mandatory connecting the forward cage supports.

·
Registered
425 Posts
If the O.E.M. firewall has been modified (in excess of 1 square foot (929 cm2) for transmission removal, not including bolted in components) a lower windshield or dash bar of 1 1/4 x .058-inch (32 x 1.5 mm) 4130 chrome moly or 1 1/4 x .118-inch (32 x 3.0 mm) mild steel is mandatory connecting the forward cage supports.
Hey Jim,

So if it hasn't been modified, then I will not ever need it?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts