Team Chevelle banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
the rod bearings im puting back in were new but pistons were in wrong places and the bearings have small scratches on them (i guess from turning the crank
they are very light but i can feel them with my fingernail. is this going to hurt??

and also there was a rusty residue mixed with oil under one rod and on the crank like moisture got under the oil layer as it sat. i can't feel anything just looks bad and it's only on one rod bearing and crank journal (only one side of it) is this ok if i just clean it up and re-oil??

oh and one more thing torquing the rod bolts do i have to use some kind of lock-tite or just torque them and to what specs? i did to 45lb.

------------------
members.aol.com/jnkb2cool/chevelle9.jpg members.aol.com/jnkb2cool/350.jpg
John Krenn
1970 malibu SS look-a-like well kinda
307/200-4r (soon to be 355 or 383)

Ft.Worth, Tx

·
Super Moderator
12,779 Posts
John,
There is no way that anyone can answer this question without looking at the parts. Anything else is just a guess. Take the parts to your machine shop and ask them for thier advice. If there is rust, it must be removed, period. If it is on the crank, it should be polished, not a job for emory cloth ! The bearing scratches might be ok but I would have to see them to tell you so.
Hope this helps,

------------------
Bill Koustenis
Advanced Automotive Machine
Waldorf Md

1971 Heavy Chevy - original owner
Team Chevelle #100

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.