Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Help!, just installed a new amp in my 1972 SS. Using the horn relay stud behind brake booster. it has a 20 amp fuse inline to stereo amplifier. Is this ok to pull that many amps from the horn relay connection? I dropped it down to a 10 amps fuse and cranked it up and the fuse blew. I guess that's why it came with a 20 amp fuse. Will the fusable links be OK that is hooked to the Horn relay post? Do not want to damage the factory harness. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

·
Registered
777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Has any one pulled power from the horn relay post in a 1972 Chevelle with no problems???Please help!!

·
Premium Member
2,189 Posts
I wouldn't do it. An amp the size of a Mosfet 650 will draw nearly it's fuse rating in current! They're hungry buggers.

Another factor you may not have considered is voltage drop over distance and wire guage.

I'm assuming the amp is in the trunk (physical size limits). Traditionally I'd install a 4ga. or larger, fused or breaker'd within 12" @ 70 Amps, directly off the battery. Then going through the car (grommeted) to a splitter block in the trunk. From here I'd branch off to the amplifier(s) with 10ga. individual "feeders".

This heavy main power line will eliminate voltage drop, and the pulsing/dimming of the other circuits in the car. The amplifiers will be able to draw the current they need without problems. You additionally gain the capacitance value of the battery itself, and it's noise (alternator whine) damping characteristics.

Another tip is to create a central "audio gear only" ground lug near the amplifier(s). This will be the very best ground source in the car (electrically second only to the neg. battery post). Ground all audio components to this point. It will help eliminate ground loops and noise.

Good advise from the guys in the "other" post. Your alternator will NOT be up to snuff! A heavy "jammin to tunes" session and your battery will be in discharge. Upgrade soon.

·
Registered
777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, John I guess I will pull power from the large battery post on the stater. I replaced Alternator last year with a 68 amp unit. Mt SS has no A/C. it should be OK???
Gary.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts