Team Chevelle banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am restoring a 1966 El Camino Custom model. We have taken off the aluminum rocker panel moldings. It has raised a couple questions I cannot answer at this point so am looking for help.

1. I am being told by someone that all rocker panel moldings for 1966 had black lines. The moldings we removed did not have black lines. The Year One catalog states they have both front and rear moldings for SS 396 models with black lines. I am trying to keep the body as close to original looks as possible so I would appreciate if anyone knows about this.
2. If I can use the existing ones then don't I need to have them anodized? Anyone know who might do this in Ohio?

Thanks, Steve

·
Premium Member
903 Posts
The original ones on my 66 el camino / 327 have the black in between the radius raised portions that run along the sides front to back

·
Registered
5,063 Posts
Mine has the SS rocker mouldings as well.

The rear quarter moulding is NOT available for the Elky (SS rocker mouldings)

The smooth mouldings are for the Malibu series passenger cars.

And since my rockers had holes for another type of rocker moulding---I would suspect that the 300 Deluxe had a moulding of it's own.

Looks to me that the factory punched the (oval) holes just to cover them with the rocker moulding.

·
Premium Member
17,531 Posts
Mine has the SS rocker mouldings as well.

The rear quarter moulding is NOT available for the Elky (SS rocker mouldings)

The smooth mouldings are for the Malibu series passenger cars.

And since my rockers had holes for another type of rocker moulding---I would suspect that the 300 Deluxe had a moulding of it's own.
Looks to me that the factory punched the (oval) holes just to cover them with the rocker moulding.
Byran, I have seen many original "300 Deluxe" El Caminos, and none had rocker trim.

·
Registered
5,063 Posts
Not absolutely sure. Thus, suspicion.

Anyway---here is a pic of the of my rocker, and you can see the hole for a different trim moulding than what the trim level of my car called for. There are several spaced about 12" apart-----The patch has removed one hole, but you can still see the front one.

I was pretty sure that all Malibu trimmed 66 Elkies used the SS rocker mouldings.
That is what my car had on it and the rear trim is quite a bit longer than the coupe trim.

The 67 parts car Elky (Malibu) did not have these holes in the rockers, but had holes for trim down the side (bondo-ed up).

Is there any reason why a car would come with one type of trim, yet have the holes for another???

·
Registered
5,714 Posts
Hello and welcome Steve. You will have more responses if you post this question in one of the other sections such as Body Shop or Tech.

·
Premium Member
17,531 Posts
Not absolutely sure. Thus, suspicion.

Anyway---here is a pic of the of my rocker, and you can see the hole for a different trim moulding than what the trim level of my car called for. There are several spaced about 12" apart-----The patch has removed one hole, but you can still see the front one.

I was pretty sure that all Malibu trimmed 66 Elkies used the SS rocker mouldings.
That is what my car had on it and the rear trim is quite a bit longer than the coupe trim.

Is there any reason why a car would come with one type of trim, yet have the holes for another???
Bryan,

I recall having those oval holes too, under the rocker molding... They weren't used, and I am not sure why they were there... I'll have to see if my SS has them (haven't paid attention)...

Back in the '80s, I help move a body shop out of a rental unit... The guy had a bunch of trim, and let me have some NOS rear El Camino rocker mouldings (still in the GM package)... I took them home, and "trimmed" them with a hack saw, so they'd fit my SS "Clone" (2-door hardtop)... At the time, I knew SS cars had the rear moulding, but didn't realize the style differed from the El Camino Custom... I thought it was just the length... DOH!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts