Team Chevelle banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
948 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 67 Malibu with a Rochester Q-jet that works well, but I also have a 650 spread-bore Holley and a 600 Holley. I want to know which one would be the best for my car. I've also heard a lot of good things about the Edelbrock carb. Anyone try one of these? Thanks.

·
Registered
336 Posts
here we go again!

What size motor, mods, etc?

If its a 327-350 Id say the 600 Holley square bore but then you should really change your manifold.. if you have the spreadbore intake and dont want to change it just keep the q-jet if it works good. personally I wouldnt waste my time with the edelbrock/carter. but thats just me lots of people use & love em.

Mike Reeh
Gold #34

·
Registered
948 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
HAHAHA I'm guessing that you've had this question before on Chevelle Tech. It's a 283 bored .30 over(287), nothing special, Edelbrock valve covers, that's about it.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I prefer the Edelbrock I have a 700 on my 67. For what you have for a motor the 600 edelbrock would work great

------------------

Scott

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Here's my spin on it: You should get a bit more mid range ( read that torque ) with the Q and a bit more top end with the 650. The 600 may not give you anything, unless, the 600 matched up with the flow requirements of your little 283 best. Get out your 1/2 wrench and do a carb comparo! My guess is that you won't see any improvement over the Q. And the real answer is the carb that is tuned the best ( to the 283 ) will run the best regardless of configuration.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I think Rochester Q-Jet works great if you can tune them right. I have a great Edlebrock Performer RPM 2.0 setup with a Rochester Q-Jet and it produces enought mid range and can be adjusted for top end power

[This message has been edited by Buddy (edited 07-08-99).]

·
Premium Member
2,035 Posts
so cal,
I agree with gene,and If you have a q-jet and it runs good,I would leave it right where it is.just my view. 67rat member #199
as for the e-brock,Ihave run one on a dirt track car and it worked quite well with a little tuning
67rat

·
Registered
49 Posts
Humm, I just answered this on your cam selection post.
But I liked my 625 AFB on my 283. No problems at all in that combination.

------------------
Long time Chevelle fan and an owner since 1973 :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.