Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Help! I am having my '72 Q-Jet rebuilt ('72 SS 402) and I know that the primary jets and possibly the secondary jets were replaced with oversized jets. Can anyone tell me what the proper size orifices are? I think this is a 650CFM carb. If there are slightly larger size jets that will perform nicely, pass this on also, but I would like to know what the stock sizes were so I can go back. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Delco Rochester Carburetor Parts and Service Manual says:
Primary Jets - 7031977 (#77)
Primary Metering Rods (auto) - 7034849 (#49B)
Primary Metering Rods (manual) - 7034845 (#45B)
Secondary Metering Rods - 7045840 (CM)

------------------
Fred Aldrich
The Chevelle Engineer
Web Site: www.CoreComm.net/~faldrich

·
Premium Member
7,908 Posts
In '69 the Q'jet on the 396 and 427 ran the same primary metering rods but ran 7031971 primary jets. Six sizes smaller might account for the '71 and newer engines being so hard on gas. My 427 with 4:10 gears was close to the newer engines for gas mileage. The smaller jetting might work just fine for you.

·
Boldly procrastrinating
66 El Camino 57 Chevy pickup 2004 Tahoe
29,184 Posts
That setup with 77 jets is going to be pig rich unless the primary main air bleeds are just huge. Some are. start with that and work your way down, you'll get real good at popping the top off your Q-jet

·
Registered
368 Posts
Keith & Tom's point is a good one. Double checked book and it says 77 but it could be a mis-print.

------------------
Fred Aldrich
The Chevelle Engineer
Web Site: www.CoreComm.net/~faldrich

[This message has been edited by Fred Aldrich (edited 06-06-2001).]

·
Premium Member
1,955 Posts
For reference, I run 71's and 41B's in my recently rebuilt '66 396 (now 408) with mild cam, stock exhaust and intake.

Yanked the plugs last night and they look a little too clean - may need to go to 72's or 3's. I believe the secondaries are AX's swinging from a K hanger.

Yea Tom, it's gotten to the point that I'm starting to look into buying the top gaskets in BULK!

Dan

------------------
Awww, fer cyrin out loud, there's that IMPALA guy again.

http://photos.yahoo.com/bc/ss3964spd?d&.flabel=fld1&.src=ph

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.