Team Chevelle banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody used this brand B4.Have heard good things,but is it true...
Do they flow any better? More accurate?What's the best temp to use in BB's or SB's.I bought two 180's for the 66 and the 72.I have more heating problems with the 72 BB (air) than with the 66(air less) thought about the 160 for the 72 BB.Your thoughts please!!!

Rick

------------------
66 300 Deluxe 350/330hp
71 350 malibu (project car)
72 Elcam 402SS
78 Malibu Classic (daily driver)

·
Registered
3,763 Posts
I've used them exclusively for the last couple of years. They're good. They have a bigger opening on top unlike almost all of the other brands for increased flow. The 160 I had did indeed open @ 160. I just bought a 180 because my motor was running too cool. 180-190 is the supposed sweet spot. The 180 stat runs @ 185-190. A little off. The best thing to do is to test them in your kitchen with a pot of water and a confectioners thermometer so you know what it opens at for sure.

------------------
Triple Black 69 SS 396

·
Registered
543 Posts
I have used one for the past year with no problems. Stewart sent it with their new waterpump. The robertshaw has holes drilled in it so you get some coolant flow even before the tstat opens, oh and mine is 160. something to do with an engine that runs at 160 produces more power, whereas an engine that runs at 190-210 is more efficient in terms of emmissions and hydrocarbons

·
Registered
461 Posts
Leeds, Somebody other than Robert Shaw drilled holes in your stat. They don't come that way. Auto Zone sells them (Part # 330-160, or 330-180, or in some areas 330-195). 160 engine temp is too cool need at least 180, preferably 190 for best performance. If anyone out there is worried about MPG they need to go to www.chevettes.com not this site. My opinion, just to stir the pot a tad

·
Registered
3,030 Posts
Robershaws come standard in boat engines marinized by Indmar, mainly used in tournament inboard ski boats. Our MasterCraft has one of their LT-1's with aluminum heads and reverse cooling, just like Corvettes. The engine's cooling system is extremely sensitive. Robertshaw stats just did not do the job well enough, in my opinion. I switched to Stant SuperStat. If you put the Robershaw and Stant in a pot of water on the stove and raise the temperature, you can watch the Stand open smoothly and progressively as the temp goes up. The Robershaw just sort of goes "boink", and pops wide open.

That used to really mess up the LT-1. A car's cooling system places less demand on the stat, since it isn't trying to meter cold lake water into a hot engine. But even still, I put Stants in everything I have now after what the boat engine taught me.

[This message has been edited by gibbons (edited 02-24-2001).]

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Where do the holes go in them?
I will try them in a pan of water first.Iv done that b4 on old ones to see if they are working...
Thanks guys

rick

------------------
66 300 Deluxe 350/330hp
71 350 malibu (project car)
72 Elcam 402SS
78 Malibu Classic (daily driver)

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
Go to stewartcomponents.com , then click on "accessories." You will see where they drill the holes. There are three holes equally spaced, I believe about 3/16" diameter. There is a picture of the thermostat in the top left corner.

[This message has been edited by Wooderson (edited 02-25-2001).]

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.