Team Chevelle banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Administrator
16,196 Posts
I think around the early 60's and some of the first PCV systems used an adapter that went into the hole in the block where the tube was bolted in. I still have one of those adapters in my garage somewhere. Philip

·
Boldly procrastrinating
66 El Camino 57 Chevy pickup 2004 Tahoe
29,005 Posts
64 would have had the little hose/pcv adapter in the same hole the road draft tube used to be in. I *think* 62 was the last year of road draft tubes.

Tom

·
Boldly procrastrinating
66 El Camino 57 Chevy pickup 2004 Tahoe
29,005 Posts
oops!

[This message has been edited by Tom Mobley (edited 06-09-99).]

·
Registered
12,960 Posts
I think Cam is very close to right, although I thought it was 62 for the rest of the U.S. Anyway, they were gone by the early 60s, although the hole in the block lasted until 1967. I have seen 2 1968 blocks with the boss cast for this hole, but no hole drilled. Anyone else seen this on a 68 block. And while we are on this subject, there is one odd ball block here. Up to 67, all SB had small journal cranks. This is TOO EASY to identify because ALL small journal blocks had 2 holes at the rear of the block, 1 for the dist and 1 for the tube. The 68-later all had large journal cranks and only a hole for the dist. In 68, holes were added to the valve covers for pcv valves. The one exception to all of this is the 1967 350 that was used in the SS 350 Camaro. It was a large journal block AND had the 2 holes at the rear of the block. Somewhat rare.

------------------

·
Administrator
16,196 Posts
Pat, I looked at the 65 SS 283 engine that i have and it has a pipe that is bolted to the opening in the back of the block and goes up to the air filter housing. There is a 3/8 hose fitting on the oil fill tube and another on the back of the carb and i assume there was a PCV valve in between. Also the oil fill cap is not vented. I hope this helps you. Philip

·
Registered
467 Posts
Pat, I have a 64 SS build in LA Oct 10 1963
It came with the PCV from draft tube location
to #8 runner on the intake. It has a filtered
cap on the oil fill tube, (Non closed system)
I have seen later 64's witch all 327 where
with non vented oil filler cap and a hose to
the air cleaner. Some time later PCV was moved from #8 runner to back of the carb plate. When the 283 was worn it suck enough oil into #8 to foul the plug after hard driving. when I build a new eng. I moved it to the carb plate. Bob J.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.