Team Chevelle banner

RIP Tom Clancy

2K views 13 replies 13 participants last post by  vrooom3440 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Tom Clancey passed away today, didn't see that one coming. I read a lot of his books in the late 90's early 2000's.

Steve R

#5 ·
Re: RIP Tom Clancey

That kinda sucks... I wasn't a big reader, but the past 3 years I really got into reading, alot...

Now both my favorite authors have died this year (Tom Clancey and Vince Flynn)... :(

Already read through all of Vince's books, and thankfully there are still quite a few of Tom's that I haven't read...

#7 ·
Re: RIP Tom Clancey

I read an article about him in CBC today that said he wrote a lot of non-fiction,too. That was a surprise to me. It said he wrote biographies and military history in addition to fiction. The best part of his writing was that he kept so close to reality that it was always believable.

#8 ·
Red Storm Rising was my first Clancy book as well, after seeing Hunt for Red October when I was younger. Actually just last month I bought it on ebook and re-read it for like the 6th time. So sad to see him go.

#9 ·
My favorite books are hands down his novels that have "ding chavez" and "jack ryan" as the main characters. Without Remorse is awesome and Rainbow Six I have read so many times I can darn near recite it. In December a new novel will be released "Jack Ryan, Shadow One" which I am very excited for.

The way Without Remorse starts, as a lonely Navy Seal named John who falls in love with a hooker and then ends with his name changed to Jack Ryan is a great story line. And then move into Rainbow Six and Jack Ryan is now heading up a world wide anti terrorist group......I love it

In my world, Tom Clancey will be sorely missed. RIP

Jeff

#10 ·
I liked how he realistically described our military technology, and it was obvious he got a lot of feedback from service members in his stories. RIP Tom

#11 ·
Sad.
Whem I was a teenager, I read a Clancy a lot.
The hunt for Red October, Red Storn Rising, all of them.
That was Cold War times, and we, young boys in South America (Brazil), read those books to keep the faith that NATO could really beat URSS.
RIP Mr. Clancy.

#13 ·
What a shame,he was only 66 thats pretty young nowadays. I read that his publisher wouldn't release his cause of death which seems odd considering its Tom Clancy.I read "Red Storm Rising" while I was in the hospital in 1990.I was hooked and had to read the Hunt for Red october ASAP.
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/10/03/b...st-of-military-thrillers-dies-at-66.html?_r=0
Its interesting what they asked him when he was invited to the White House.
RIP, Tom Clancy.

#14 ·
Hunt for Red October was actually his first book and went relatively undiscovered until Red Storm Rising was published. May be legend, but the story was that he cooked up the submarine tactics in Hunt himself and later found out from veterans just how close he came.

I read and may still own almost all of his books (not the joint author books).

If you like Tom... another good read is anything Clive Cussler wrote :thumbsup:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.